Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning is started my truck as usual without any problems.When I drove to the bottom of my steep driveway I stopped to remove some leave bags from the back of the truck.I noticed that my idle was going down and the engine started chugging I jumped in the truck to see if I could rev it up to stay running but it did not work it died.I know I was very low on fuel in my tank and when I park on a slope nose down my fuel gauge is always lower.I called a friend and he drove me to a gas station and we got 5 gal. of diesel.We poured in the tank after we returned.Now my truck will not start.I run my batteries almost down now they are on a charger.I think I read once you run out of fuel it is hard to start the truck.Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

2000-F350 7.3 lots of miles

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
This morning is started my truck as usual without any problems.When I drove to the bottom of my steep driveway I stopped to remove some leave bags from the back of the truck.I noticed that my idle was going down and the engine started chugging I jumped in the truck to see if I could rev it up to stay running but it did not work it died.I know I was very low on fuel in my tank and when I park on a slope nose down my fuel gauge is always lower.I called a friend and he drove me to a gas station and we got 5 gal. of diesel.We poured in the tank after we returned.Now my truck will not start.I run my batteries almost down now they are on a charger.I think I read once you run out of fuel it is hard to start the truck.Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

2000-F350 7.3 lots of miles
Well, you can do one of 2 things. If you want it started right away....you can shoot some starter fluid such as ether in the intake and start it up. It will run real rough for a bit until it gets the fuel going. Or you can mess around and prime it by pouring some fuel into the fuel bowl and trying to get it started. Will maybe need to hook up a battery charger or another vehicle with cables to keep it from dying. The ether is fast, but its not always good for it if you do it all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel in bowl

I checked the fuel in the bowl.There was fuel in there but I added some more.Still would not start.I called a tow truck to move my truck out of the driveway so we can use it to get in and out.The tow truck driver noticed fuel under the truck.Once we got it up to my house I was looking for any leaks but we could not find any??
I have 2 relays on top of the engine one has 12 volts on both terminals after the key is turned on the other one that is somewhat larger does not have 12 volts on both terminals.Could that be the problem?
I am about to check fuses relays and such to see if they are working.
Thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
that thing has a electric fuel pump that will prime the bowl all by itself,but make sure you have 2 good batts or it will not start up again and the starting fluid thing i would not do.you do not have to do that to get fuel back to the injectors.the relay that you are talking about is either the glowplug or the grid heater if there is not power to the second terminal that means that the relay is shot but it is not why it wont start.

·
Registered
659 Posts
you need 10.5 volts when cranking to allow the engine to even fire

·
Registered
659 Posts
also on the fuel leak look right behind the fuel filter there is a valve for draining the water and fuel,that is always a problem if it is leaking there all you need is new orings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's working

Well I just went outside where the truck is sitting on a charger.I thought hell why not so I gave it a shot and it started!.It was running rough for a minute or so but after that it looks like she is running like before.:rofl:.
This is the best place to find answers to FPD's.
I do not post a lot but I sure love reading other people posts and answers.
Thanks
You guys rule.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Wecome to the ORG.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Alright man! Glad you got it started and running good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts