1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Appreciate any and all input.

1996 Ford F250 7.3L
Ran in march, Father had the glow plugs replaced. Soon after it died and would not start.

Cranking the truck, no smoke at all. Tach slightly moved above 0.

One battery had some dead cells. Replaced that with a new one. I keep them charged. No change.

The ICP sensor is definitely bad (plug is full of oil) I unplugged it for now while I await the part. Should run without it or am I wrong?

Replaced the IPR. (Very little oil in the hpop reservoir) Filled the fuel bowl with fresh diesel. Filled the reservoir with oil. No change.

Replaced the CPS sensor. Tach shows more RPMs now while cranking. Still no start.

Checked the PCM fuse under the hood, it is old but continuity tests good.
Where should I look next?

·
Premium Member
4,130 Posts
You need a scanner to do a buzz test to make sure the electrical side is good.

Then check live data for HPOP pressure and IPR %.

Check fuel pressure on fuel bowl shrader valve.

No white smoke means injectors aren't firing so these will check for electrical signal, fuel and HPOP pressure.

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need a scanner to do a buzz test to make sure the electrical side is good.

Then check live data for HPOP pressure and IPR %.

Check fuel pressure on fuel bowl shrader valve.

No white smoke means injectors aren't firing so these will check for electrical signal, fuel and HPOP pressure.
Thank you for the quick response!
I will grab a fuel gauge and check that.

I have a ancel ad530 obd2 scanner but I do not think there is a way to do the buzz test.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Manyreaders won't read the Ford Enhanced parameters on these trucks. You may need to run the Forscan (or Forscan Lite) on a laptop or smartphone with an appropriate adapter for the OBD II diagnostic port (I'm using Forscan Lite on an iPhone 8 with an OBDLink MX+ adapter ... there other perhaps cheaper alternatives out there). Is the CEL illuminated? Cheers!

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manyreaders won't read the Ford Enhanced parameters on these trucks. You may need to run the Forscan (or Forscan Lite) on a laptop or smartphone with an appropriate adapter for the OBD II diagnostic port (I'm using Forscan Lite on an iPhone 8 with an OBDLink MX+ adapter ... there other perhaps cheaper alternatives out there). Is the CEL illuminated? Cheers!
Negative on the Cel. It is not showing any codes in the system.
I will look into Forscan

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ipr is hitting 54%, ICP after cranking goes to 617 kpa. Rpm are turning about 120. Buzz test passed.
I cannot find a setting to monitor hpop. Not sure what it is located under.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
the 54% is the maximum command IPR duty cycle and 617 kPa ICP (which is the HPOP pressure) is only about 90 psi, so that not going to get it started. Is the level still good in the HPOP Reservoir? Is the CEL illuminated? With the key on (engine not running) is there power at the IPR connector? Cheers!

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the 54% is the maximum command IPR duty cycle and 617 kPa ICP (which is the HPOP pressure) is only about 90 psi, so that not going to get it started. Is the level still good in the HPOP Reservoir? Is the CEL illuminated? With the key on (engine not running) is there power at the IPR connector? Cheers!
No Cel.
Hpop reservoir is empty again, I filled it up about a week ago. Should I top up and reattempt to start?

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No Cel.
Hpop reservoir is empty again, I filled it up about a week ago. Should I top up and reattempt to start?
And I just rechecked the IPR on a whim. One of the wires snapped off. New plug on order.
Should the hpop oil reservoir always retain oil, or is it normal to empty after sitting?

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
The reservoir should hold oil, but a leak in the lower reservoir gasket or HPOP may cause it drain after sitting

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reservoir should hold oil, but a leak in the lower reservoir gasket or HPOP may cause it drain after sitting
There is quite a bit of oil coating the lower portion of the engine. Time to figure out how to fix that too. Hopefully when I fix the IPR plug it will run for me.

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still fighting this truck.
No Cel still.
Replaced the IPR plug. With the key on, engine off (wish it would run...) there is 12 volts at the IPR.
IPR hit 54% again, and ICP is at 350psi.
I am thinking I should pull the valve covers and have a look at the injectors for an oil leak and the wiring harness there? All injectors pass the buzz test and all 8 sound the same, but the glow plugs were replaced right before the truck stopped running.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Yeah, pull those valve covers and crank the engine -- look for oil spewing around the injectors, would indicate the upper o-ring leaking
you should see oil coming from the "spouts" on the injectors, look for obvious difference in the amounts

·
Registered
1996 Ford F250 7.3L
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
8E1D7E45-E5B3-4A5C-9704-2C225928C5E8.jpeg C411671D-E319-48D0-BC4B-C67C5E594B6A.jpeg
Yeah, pull those valve covers and crank the engine -- look for oil spewing around the injectors, would indicate the upper o-ring leaking
you should see oil coming from the "spouts" on the injectors, look for obvious difference in the amounts
Pulled the passenger valve cover (it seemed the easier of the two to start with, I would like to have a word with Ford engineers...) cranking over the engine I saw Zero oil. No leaking injectors but I feel there should have been some oil movement?
Buzz test is a pass, but I do have a slightly melted plug. This could not be the problem?
8E1D7E45-E5B3-4A5C-9704-2C225928C5E8.jpeg
C411671D-E319-48D0-BC4B-C67C5E594B6A.jpeg
C411671D-E319-48D0-BC4B-C67C5E594B6A.jpeg
8E1D7E45-E5B3-4A5C-9704-2C225928C5E8.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Should have been squirting out of the oil spouts -- that is when the injector pushes fuel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts