Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this month marks the one year that I've had my 07, now comes the time finally when i want to start tinkering…

but the questions arise…. where to start?

I'm thinking the EGR delete and an SCT Livewire tuner, then from there?

mind you, i don't own a lift for the cab, nor have the few grand laying around for the studs quite yet…

buddy at work has a bulldog CAI for dirt cheap as well…

need some MAJOR input.

I'm turning 23 tomorrow, so its not like i can dig into my retirement to finance this...

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
this month marks the one year that I've had my 07, now comes the time finally when i want to start tinkering…

but the questions arise…. where to start?

I'm thinking the EGR delete and an SCT Livewire tuner, then from there?

mind you, i don't own a lift for the cab, nor have the few grand laying around for the studs quite yet…

buddy at work has a bulldog CAI for dirt cheap as well…

need some MAJOR input.

I'm turning 23 tomorrow, so its not like i can dig into my retirement to finance this...
Assuming you have the necessary electronic gauges already (If not, start here), and your temps are good, I would be tempted to wait for the inevitable oil cooler failure to install the egr delete.
Exhaust would be next.
Leave the intake. Your stock intake IS a cold air intake, more so than most of those "CAI" kits, and there is no better air filter made for your truck.
SCT, be careful with tunes when you are not studded.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Save your money and keep the stock intake. It's a pretty good setup and many here take it to 500 hp.

An EGR delete is a great idea, as well as a tuner with a custom tune or two. The thread int signature has lots of basic info on the SCT stuff.

A coolant filter and the blue spring are great preemptive strikes.

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Do the STC and D plugs as well. Good preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the quick response guys, read a lot about the stock filters being more than capable of handing a lot of upgrades and more often than not, being the better choice, but also read that the ease of cleaning/replacing them can out weigh that..

have no gauges as of now, was going to use the tuner to monitor EGTs, trans temp etc but get a few analog gauges to monitor the others.. unless you guys have reasons to do otherwise?

I'm new to the diesel world.

im not kid that needs to haul my dads Ford 3500 tractor thats in the barn, but my dad has owned more muscle cars that you can shake a stick at… i just know if i build the endless lists of cars he did id be dead already.

i want a built truck for fun, but i don't need to be the friday night hero on the 1/4 mile either…

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also, i forgot to mention…

I've read a lot of guys out there running the " non studded looney tune" and doing pretty well with it… has anyone heard differently?

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
^^^^agree. Monitor and maintenance/pm mods first. Save you from headaches later.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts