Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I am looking at an 03 f350 dually 6.0 to haul our 40' 5th wheel. It only has 200000 km (120000 miles) but my concern is all the stories of the 6.0 grenading. Are they true and does bulletproofing really help?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dale

·
Hate stupid people
8,511 Posts
its true. its a necessity to bulletproof before the HG's blow.
its not if? its when
doesn't matter if you drive like grandma or a 16 year old. I've seen numerous instances of both. as a DD and when hooked to campers/5ers

·
Premium Member
7,749 Posts
6.0s don't grenade they blow head gaskets, usually from not monitoring oil temps. The crappy Ford gold coolant drops silicates out of suspension due to the heat in the EGR cooler. Those silicate clog the oil cooler which in turns starves the EGR cooler to where it leaks coolant into the intake and voila water doesn't compress so the head gaskets fail. Early models like yours also have more HPOP failures but less EGR cooler failures.
Monitor your temperatures, watch FICM voltage, watch ICP and IPR and VGT%'s Flush the crap gold coolant and refill with Cat EC-1 spec ELC and don't go crazy with tunes and it should last.
The one that grenades is the 6.4

·
Registered
141 Posts
2004 f350 (03)6.0. 840000km. all stock no bulletproof.

It eat a lifter at 760000km replaced engine with a 160k doner 03 engine.

It lifted the heads at 200000. 2 oil coolers and 1 EGR cooler, original HPOP and turbo.

They can and do last.

I wouldn't be afraid of a 200000 unit if it has been maintained.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts