Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I have a 2000 F250. Here lately when I turn the switch to go into 4hi it doesn't always go. I use to be able to hear a click or something, it doesn't do it now. Sometimes it will go in, but not all the time. when I mess with it I can get it in, turning it off and on a couple times will usually get it to come on. I use 4hi everyday checking cows and stuff and I usually only put it in when I hit soft ground. I can't have it not working. I had to walk about a 1/2 mile in the dark tonight to get the track loader, all uphill, so I guess it's time to figure out whats wrong!
Any ideas?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
It is either the switch, or the transfercase motor under the truck.

After you get it fixed when you go to check on your cattle why not just put it in 4hi and leave it there until your out of the pasture. All that switching back and forth may have wore some parts out.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Check the plug under the truck on the 4x4 switch motor. Mine did the same thing in the snow earlier this year. My plug on the harness had its retainer broke on it. I had to tie wrap the plug to the motor, that way it wont come loose again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. I'll check that connection underneath. As far as leaving it in, I don't like feeling like the front end is falling out when I turn. You may be right though about wearing something out I guess.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
thanks guys. I'll check that connection underneath. As far as leaving it in, I don't like feeling like the front end is falling out when I turn. You may be right though about wearing something out I guess.
If your on dirt you should not have that feeling.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
It also could be your vaccum line hoses. I have an 01 and they were dryrotted and falling off their connections. Had to replace them and now the 4x4 kicks in without fail so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts