Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 Excursion 7.3 and had to put a new engine in it. The week I got it back it died on me while driving. I restarted it and the RPM’s were all over the place. Took it to my shop and they discovered the Engine Control Module is shorting and causing the problems. However, Ford isn’t making the part anymore so I need to find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Where should I look? Part number is: 1U7Z12A650FSA

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Does you shop routinely work on Ford diesels? (doesn't sound like it ;) )

IF the PCM is the problem (and it rarely is but Never referred to as an ECM in the Ford world) that part# isn't what you need as much as the Alpha/Numeric 4-digit code on it (mine says VDH4) on a sticker, under the hood, on the side of the PCM that faces the dr side ft fender.

But I gotta tell ya,,, the number of cases where a PCM causes running issues are Far and Few between ( they either work or they don't as opposed to "kinda work"). Shorting Out is a bad diagnoses, if the 5v reference line is down that's more likely a shorted sensor doing it (most often, but not always, EBP sensor)

YOU NEED A SECOND OPINION!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, yes they did also refer to it as a PCM. They said it looks like someone has tried to correct the problem before because there was some tape and zip ties holding it tight. Disclaimer: my mechanical knowledge is like a 2 out of 10 so that doesn’t help any of us. Sorry.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just bought a 2001 Excursion 7.3 and had to put a new engine in it. The week I got it back it died on me while driving. I restarted it and the RPM’s were all over the place. Took it to my shop and they discovered the Engine Control Module is shorting and causing the problems. However, Ford isn’t making the part anymore so I need to find one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Where should I look? Part number is: 1U7Z12A650FSA
You ok with used or it has to be new?

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
Yeah the abbreviations on these modules are hard to keep up with , seems the kids that name them cant make up their minds either. Where I work the main module is called XCM, I suppose X since they couldn't fit all the letters in a short space. Give it a couple of years and all will change again. The service book calls each module out by name ECM, TCM, HCM, PTO, Hitch (yeah that one has more than 3 letters) -- but they all live in the same box.

The Power Train Control Module is called that because it containes the Engine Control Module and the Transmission Control Module, all in the same box

OK, enough of the rant -- you could have something as simple as a wiring harness short -- the PCM is not a usual suspect as @NoRalPh mentioned.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
If you feel this guy is a 2 out of 10, have you done a search for nearby mechanics? I’m in a valley of 4 million people and after having my mechanic 15 minutes away perform not so well, when I decided on the full Bulletproof, I had the truck towed about 60 minutes to Bullet Proof Diesel and they did great work.

First buying the truck, I had a bad FICM that took 3 tows to fix the truck. Not so good. I spent at least $500 extra because of the shops pushing the truck to the next one.

I try to do the work I can, and I;m no longer traveling ten and a half months a year, so I have more time, but I try to do what I can on my own. I now have a shop 35 minutes away that I will take it to when its too much for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts