Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i needvyour advice so i got a boroscope in stuck in a cylinder its made of plastic ,maybe aluminium but i doubt it.

Should i 1 pull the head.

Or 2. Break it off as close as i can and break it up in the cylinder and let it expel trough

I pulled the intake i hopes i could of fished it out from there but no dice valves dont open far enough.

Thanks

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
while it may work out no one in their right mind would suggest ignoring the debris
i may try to keep track of all the pieces and see if i could use some tube on a vacuum to get the rest out
then see if i got them all

maybe rotate the engine so the piston moves down if you think the scope is wedged against it ?

why were you running a borescope ?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
I’m sure you’ve tried WD40.

I have some CRC freeze spray, and may hit it with that hoping it would shrink the scope enough to free it. The CRC freeze spray worked once well for me, but has not worked the other 5 or six times I tried it. I would not go out and buy a can of freeze pray if you don’t have it lying around.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,620 Posts
+1 on rotating the engine by hand and hoping it frees it.

I would definitely not break it off and hope. Pull the head before you do that.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why were you running a borescope ?
Well injector one started smoking and droping out spool nut wad almost off the cross bolt threads so i pulled it .

Since it was out wanted to inspect the cylinder see if the over fueling had caused any damage.

I will say it was mostly out of curiosity.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m sure you’ve tried WD40.

I have some CRC freeze spray, and may hit it with that hoping it would shrink the scope enough to free it. The CRC freeze spray worked once well for me, but has not worked the other 5 or six times I tried it. I would not go out and buy a can of freeze pray if you don’t have it lying around.
Its free but its not coming out . i can push it further in but i can pull it out.

I think the when the piston hit it, it flattened out the end so instead of 5.5 mm round it might now be 6mm flat.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 on rotating the engine by hand and hoping it frees it.

I would definitely not break it off and hope. Pull the head before you do that.
Yeah figured as much .

when i showed this to my father last night he tried to convince me that since all the pieces are plastic if i rotate the engine by hand break up the part that it would eventually expell trough the exhaust valves.
And what ever remained would eventually burn amd melt because of the hight heat.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The endoscope is like the top one on this picture tough the rigid part is not as long.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,620 Posts
Its free but its not coming out . i can push it further in but i can pull it out.

I think the when the piston hit it, it flattened out the end so instead of 5.5 mm round it might now be 6mm flat.

Did you crank on it with the borescope in the cylinder?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you crank on it with the borescope in the cylinder?
It was on the edge of the injector cup and got sucked in.

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
Sucked in by what ?
smashed by piston ?
You got me on the edge of my seat lol

i want to ask if it was running but that's just to far fetched , cranking maybe?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sucked in by what ?
smashed by piston ?
You got me on the edge of my seat lol

i want to ask if it was running but that's just to far fetched , cranking maybe?
Ok so like a dummy i had the tip of the bore scope in the injector cup hole at the bottom used starter wire to bump engine very stupid mistake so it sucked the scope and when the piston came back up i guess it hammered the head of the scope now its not coming out the hole anymore.

When spining by hand i see the pressure and the diesel escaping trough the cup hole between the scope Wire.

As it is i can feed the scope further in the cylinder but it gets stuck when trying to pull it out of the cup.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Cranking it over was an unforced error. You're probably right; it's no longer 5.5mm. Sometimes we all have a moment we regret.

No one can tell you if the remaining broken parts will not damage anything. You can find people with foreign objects in the cylinder damaging the valves, pistons, and cylinder wall. From my viewpoint, you have to decide luck vs cost of damage. It's probably plastic, maybe a ring of aluminum, maybe a little glass. Will it break down into smaller parts, but enough that it can escape through the exhaust valve? You could get a replacement borescope to confirm it's construction.

Obviously, the ideal is to remove the head and get the parts out, see what damage has already occurred. If the broken parts do not eject and get caught between the piston and cylinder wall, that could end up requiring a reworked block.

It ends up if you are willing to gamble - gambling block rework, or the insurance payment of removing the head.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cranking it over was an unforced error. You're probably right; it's no longer 5.5mm. Sometimes we all have a moment we regret.

No one can tell you if the remaining broken parts will not damage anything. You can find people with foreign objects in the cylinder damaging the valves, pistons, and cylinder wall. From my viewpoint, you have to decide luck vs cost of damage. It's probably plastic, maybe a ring of aluminum, maybe a little glass. Will it break down into smaller parts, but enough that it can escape through the exhaust valve? You could get a replacement borescope to confirm it's construction.

Obviously, the ideal is to remove the head and get the parts out, see what damage has already occurred. If the broken parts do not eject and get caught between the piston and cylinder wall, that could end up requiring a reworked block.

It ends up if you are willing to gamble - gambling block rework, or the insurance payment of removing the head.
Thanks I will be removing the head i wont take the chance.

I have another scope on the way but its not the same model as the one thats stuck.

Question say the materials are as u described above would any of those be tough enough to damage cast iron they all seem soft in comparison?

Also once the head is off ,since the gasket wasent compromised do i still need to resurface head and block ?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
30,450 Posts
it is not so much the cast iron you are worried about at first it is where the borscope parts be when the piston is TDC

like injector / glow plug tips , holding a valve open then the subsequent damage from there

Also once the head is off ,since the gasket wasent compromised do i still need to resurface head and block ?
how long has it been since the heads were done and that begs the question if you do one do you do both lol

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Aluminum, brass, and bronze can scrath/score the cylinder wall.

I go to the extreme with this motor due to it's history with the head sealing. From my point of view, the very first thing to check is the flatness across the main width as Ford and Navistar has suggested, no more then 0.002". I'd be tighter then that, no more then 0.001".

I also believe to go a clean as possible, and again, I'm kind of "out there" with what I do, abrading the surface with a extemely flat plate, both the deck and the head. But I was able to do that with the heads as my flatness was at 0.00075" the most. It's not that I don't believe in machining the heads, I do, and what most people should do.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how long has it been since the heads were done and that begs the question if you do one do you do both lol
I think they are oem and never done truck as 111k miles

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your input will keep you posted with my shenanigans.

Reactions: jokester00

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
long nose vice grips on the body of the scope -- twist and pull, try not to bust the scope housing

the bore scope I have uses an aluminum housing, so you could pull pretty hard before it breaks off
removing the injector cup would increase the hole size a bit and may free the scope
I would try that before removing the head

cranking the engine over with the starter would give cylinder pressure to force the scope out
pull on the cable so the scope is not sucked farther into the cylinder -- bungee cord or the like
use caution, since the force could project the scope out quickly

1 - 20 of 54 Posts