Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently own a 01 350 with a 7.3 its a reg cab so im looking into getting an ext. cab short bed. I have found two trucks. i found an 02 F250 Lariet, charcoal and black, its in great shape 107,000 miles and is fairly clean, one side of bed needs work and needs front brakes, i can probably get this truck for 10,500.

Truck 2 is a 2003 F350 Sport, its black so automatically i love it. there is honestly a scratch on every panel. nothing a good buff couldnt take care of. this truck has 82,000 miles on it. Mechanically sound doesnt need anything.
I could probably pick this up for 12ish. he told me what ever dealer offers him i can have it for aswell.

What would you guys honestly think each truck is worth. im stumped i love my 7.3 but i want more power and for it to be safe

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
What do you use your truck for mostly? Pulling heavy, daily driving?

·
Registered
591 Posts
if you get the 03 6.0 make shure to get an Oasis report.

+1 for the 6.0

I got one and love mine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well I will give you my 2 cents worth. I have owned a 03 6.0 liter and a 06 6.0 liter. Both of them had many problems. I bought both of them from the dealer brand new and thought that by the time the 06 came out that it should be done with all the bugs. But I was totally wrong. Many EGR problems, 2 EGR COOLERS, Puking, head gaskets at 48,000. I have since sold my 06 and bought a 02 7.3 liter that will most likely outlast and be more reliable truck than my experiences with the 6.0. Now I will say that the 6.0 is more powerful and can run fast, but I want something that I can drive the wheels off pulling a trailer and not have to worry about having a problem on the road. I broke down on the road with livestock in my 06 6.0 liter and had a DURACRAP pull me off the road. Did not feel to good that day. Anyway, take the advice for what it is worth.

·
Registered
402 Posts
i dont own or plan on owning a 6.0 so im biased but for work related reliability i have no problems with any of the 7.3s im using. ill swear by em. (no offence to the 6.0 guys im sure theyre awesome machines, just verry happy with my 7.3s 0

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've got an '03 6L and love it. I use it as a DD and to pull livestock, cars, gravity bed wagons, flat beds full of hay, just about anything around the farm. I pulled these loads stock with no problems, didn't even puke a drop. Now that I have studs and an EGR delete I feel a lot more comfortable pulling these loads, but have nothing bad to say about my 6L. I will say though, it seems that 6L are luck of the draw. You either get a good one or you get a bad one.

To the OP get an oasis report done and post it up here.

-French

·
Registered
78 Posts
See to me, if I have a stock truck, then I should not have to stud it and EGR delete it. That is my point as to why I finally went to the 7.3. Not that the 7.3 never fail but the track record is alot better than the 6.0. I am 2 for 2 with the 6.0 liters and don't think I would buy another one.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My truck has an SCT and some stage 1 injectors in it as well. I just did the studs and the EGR delete because of what I want to do with the truck in the future. I agree that 7.3L are dead nuts reliable, but I wouldn't trade my 6L for one just because of how much I love it. Like I stated before, 6L really seem to be you either get a good one or you get a bad one.

-French

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ok so HOW fast and powerful do you want it? and how much money do you want to put in it? cuz you can make anything fast with lotta money. you cant kill a 7.3 but its easier to make 6.0 fast. if you do EGR and stud it you might be alright.....but as countryboy said its the luck of the draw...if i got a 6.0 id buy a 06 or 07. thats my .02
good luck

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 01 has a DP tune Intake and Exhaust pretty much it i feel like my truck has snap but my bosses 04 duramax with the same mods will blow by me like im standing still. the two trucks im looking at what you guys think they are worth money wise?

W

·
0 Posts
i have owned both, i have modded both... ill stick with my 7.3s... if you want the whole story ill let you know where the post is....

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I love my 6.0, but chances are that in buying one that someday down the road you will wind up spending a few grand on headstuds and an EGR delete. If you can live with that then by all means get yourself a 6.0. You also need to be very, very timely with your maintenance on a 6.0. Clean fuel, oil, and air are essential for it's survival.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
my 01 has a DP tune Intake and Exhaust pretty much it i feel like my truck has snap but my bosses 04 duramax with the same mods will blow by me like im standing still. the two trucks im looking at what you guys think they are worth money wise?
why are you talking about a GMC??? i thought you wanted a truck!!!:dunno:

·
Registered
48 Posts
go with the 7.3 and buy a 230 hp chip and u got everything u want but i love both the 6.o and 7.3 but ur not pulling alot so go with the 7.3 and if u want lots of balls i can tell u how i work on the 7.3 and 6.0 and pull them but the killer on the 6.o is oil presure the o rings suck in them

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
go with the 7.3 and buy a 230 hp chip and u got everything u want but i love both the 6.o and 7.3 but ur not pulling alot so go with the 7.3 and if u want lots of balls i can tell u how i work on the 7.3 and 6.0 and pull them but the killer on the 6.o is oil presure the o rings suck in them
Who makes the 230 HP chip for the 7.3?

·
Super Moderator
31,730 Posts
Who makes the 230 HP chip for the 7.3?
No one does:hehe:

In all honesty you would be fine with either truck. 7.3's are not without problems. Replacing the oil pan on your 7.3 seems to be getting about as common as stud jobs on 6.0s lately. Then there is the water pump which is very failure prone on a 7.3 and a 500 dollar job if a shop does it. Also a cps which will leave you stranded. Then you have the front lockout hubs. Wheel bearings at 600 bucks a pop as well.

I just listed these to point out that the 7.3 is prone to just as many costly problems as the 6.0

I have had both trucks and honestly prefer my 6.0

·
Coal Rolling = Posing
9,871 Posts
No one does:hehe:

In all honesty you would be fine with either truck. 7.3's are not without problems. Replacing the oil pan on your 7.3 seems to be getting about as common as stud jobs on 6.0s lately. Then there is the water pump which is very failure prone on a 7.3 and a 500 dollar job if a shop does it. Also a cps which will leave you stranded. Then you have the front lockout hubs. Wheel bearings at 600 bucks a pop as well.

I just listed these to point out that the 7.3 is prone to just as many costly problems as the 6.0

I have had both trucks and honestly prefer my 6.0
No kiddin... :doh:

Not to argue with you Dave, but I've done my wheel bearings, and both of 'em didn't cost me 600. Also, at 195k my water pump is the one IH put in there. So's the oilpan. Hadn't heard about oil pan trouble.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts