Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bad news: my brother crashed my 99 f250 powerstroke and just got the word it's totalled. I was very happy with it, added 4" exhaust, superchip, k&n filter and it was an animal on towing and got decent mileage. I'm going to be getting about 14K from insurance, I have to figure out if I should buy another older one, or try to pony up some cash and get a newer one. I don't have much time to decide as I need a truck for towing and my farm.

The good news: I could decide to put up a little more money and get one of the newer ones, which might make sense over time due to what seems to be better fuel economy.

I'm not going to sell it, but run it for a long time, so I don't care about a truck being newer as a newer one just has more value to lose over time. So I'm not sure if I should consider something a little newer, say a 2005 or 2006 (i'd heard the earlier 6.0's had some issues). That's about as recent as I could afford to go, looking at prices. And I'm not sure it's worth the extra 10K it seems to be.

I tow a 10,000 lb boat, use the truck on my farm alot. My old one pulled it fine.

Can those that know both make a recommendation or two? Thanks!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well I had 2 7.3's and when I got my 07 6.0 I thought it was a dog...had tolearn how to drive the 07 not as much lowend torque...Then I put a SCT xcal3 on it with Innovative tunes and ...WOW....It is a monster...no regrets.....I run the extreme street tune daily..and even pull my fifth wheel on it I only change to tow when the gooseneck is loaded down ,like when I got the backhoe on....get a 6.0 and a SCT you wont be disapointed...Also I run a 6spd...no regrets there either...

·
Registered
738 Posts
Or you could get one of the new 8.0 liters...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Red. I don't have the cash to do anything too recent. Did your first two 7.3
s pull as good as your 6? Were they comparable for the add ons or you can't compare. A stock I know wouldn't be comparable. With diesel at 4 a gallon and going up, I think the 6 would get better fuel economy. But I'm going to have to fork over about 8 or 10k more than buying another 99 or 2000 7.3 with the same number of miles on it. Since I'm holding the truck and will most likely run it into the ground, i'll have more to lose over time with that. I won't be buying another (gotta keep my brother out of it this time!).

·
Registered
738 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i went from the 7.3 to a 6.0 (which is sitting in the shop). i would see if you can find a nice 7.3 again. just my opinion

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Don't get me wrong I love my 6.0 but the are alot more picky than the ol'tried and true 7.3. If I was constantly hauling and putting her to farm use, the 7.3 would the my only choice.

Sorry to hear about the truck and good luck finding the replacement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would like to put my 2 cents worth in here. We have both, 7.3 and 6.0L trucks. My 1997 7.3 has 292000 miles on it, and runs wonderful. The 01 7.3 is now a planter waiting for a new motor. Its IDM went out, the High pressure oil pump went twice. The 06 6.0 with only 128000 miles, has seen the service bay at the Ford dealership too many times. With the 6.0 the EGR seems to go out every six months. Had to have a head job, $7500. It high pressure oil pump went out. Based on that, personally I would save your money, buy an pre-99 7.3 and save your self some headaches.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts