Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L 4X4 locking hubs are too stiff to turn without a wrench and pretty ugly to look at.

I'm getting new wheels and tires so I want new lock hubs. I want to use the ESOF so I don't want a strictly manual locking hub.

Ford OEM Part Number is 1C3Z-3B396-CB They cost $250 to $300 for a pair.

My questions are:
- Does anyone have first-hand experience with the cheaper locking hubs you get from Amazon that cost about $125 for a pair?
- Is there an aftermarket ESOF locking hub available that is considered an upgrade over OEM?

From what I can tell the only aftermarket locking hubs are manual - like Warn or Mile Marker.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
OEM Ford hubs are your best option if you want auto hubs.

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
This is such an ignored part, a little maintenance goes a long way...

Once they start to get stiff, instead of forcing them, you only need to take them apart a little and grease them (most people never do this they just get out the pliers ;) ).

If they truly need replacement, go with Ford and give them the care they need, they'll last forever!

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/allube.php

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
Have you taken yours apart to just clean and degrease? My 21yr old hubs are still doing just fine. I just exercise them couple times a year and actually use fwd often in winter and few times in summer etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When installing new locking hubs should I grease the spindle and inside of the hub? When I removed the old locking hubs it was clean and dry but there was no lube inside the hubs at all.

I've seen videos online where they liberally grease the inside of the hub and videos where they do not apply any lube at all. Which is correct?

Also, is marine wheel bearing grease OK to use or do I need something else?

BTW, reason I'm going with new locking hubs is for looks. Don't want old corroded hubs next to my shiny new wheels..

·
Premium Member
8,210 Posts
I'd "slather" grease on all that stuff, marine is fine but would use something Black (Moly) on the needles...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced both of mine with the Dorman replacements; about $44ea on fleabay. I initially pulled one apart, cleaned and regreased it, it worked fine. The other was bound up because an internal o-ring had failed and was beginning to pull out. Once I saw the cheap replacement cost, I ordered 2. Took 5min to replace both. For me, it's not worth the time to clean and grease them.
I've used the 4wd several times in the last week or so and it locks in just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was REALLY tempted to go cheaper route but went OEM part number 1C3Z-3B396-CB. Local Ford dealer wanted $171/each. Picked them up on Amazon Prime for $136.5/each with free 2 day delivery. Some online sites are cheaper but when adding shipping its a wash.

Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts