Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, Im fairly new to diesels and looking to do a few upgrades for my 7.3. So far the only thing ive done is cut the muffler off at the cab. My state has no emission requirements. Now ive been looking at Cold air intakes and im wondering if anyone has a Speed By Spectre air intake or a Air Raid CAI? So far things about my truck: Automatic F350 CC SB 4x4 it has 256,500 Miles. Few other things im looking at is a set of gauges and maybe a tuner/chip for the truck. Not looking for any major gains just a little more hp and hopefully better fuel economy. Right now it gets about 17.5 if im not on the pedal. All comments welcomed.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Gauges are a must have, defiantly boost and pyro. If your going to get a CAI, look for a dry filter setup. A lil easier to properly maintain and just as much performance. A chip with custom tunes wakes an ole girl up but prob wont get any more mpg. 17.5mpg aint bad, I get a bit less in mine.

·
Registered
185 Posts
There are many threads on here for a diy setup, I personally have an AFE stage 2 dry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Definitely get gauges. Pyro and Trans since you have the 4r100, boost gauge is nice to see if you develope a boost leak and to make sure you dont over speed the turbo. IMHO look at custom tuning you will be much happier than just a TS chip. And I would also recommend the 6637 filter from NAPA, I have about 50000 on mine and i blow it out about every 20000 and it looks brand new still.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Don't use compressed air to blow out your air filter. It damages the element and lets more dirt threw.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Definitely get gauges. Pyro and Trans since you have the 4r100, boost gauge is nice to see if you develope a boost leak and to make sure you dont over speed the turbo. IMHO look at custom tuning you will be much happier than just a TS chip. And I would also recommend the 6637 filter from NAPA, I have about 50000 on mine and i blow it out about every 20000 and it looks brand new still.

Just for clarification, a boost gauge will show overboosting, but not overspeeding.

CAI's on IC'd vehicles are pointless. Not to mention, if you actually use your truck, I'd be worried about sucking in snow/rain/creek water.

Just do a diy 6637 intake; they are cheap, and easy to do. AFE's are top notch... but there will be no performance difference between a $300 afe or a $60 6637.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just for clarification, a boost gauge will show overboosting, but not overspeeding.

CAI's on IC'd vehicles are pointless. Not to mention, if you actually use your truck, I'd be worried about sucking in snow/rain/creek water.

Just do a diy 6637 intake; they are cheap, and easy to do. AFE's are top notch... but there will be no performance difference between a $300 afe or a $60 6637.
^whs. btw if you are worried about what kind of mpgs you get, you probably need to trade the truck in and down size. The reason for owning a diesel is because you have a need for it, meaning you have to use it no matter what the mileage is. hell 10mpg for an 8000lbs object is impressive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts