Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I just transferred back to the Jax area from Winston Salem (Thanks for all the help, Scott). Now, down to business:

My family is going to full time out of a toy hauler (K-Z Inferno 3912 or equivalent) which weighs in the neighborhood of 11,500 empty and 18k GCW (about 3300 hitch weight). Initially, we plan to just pull it from campsite to campsite in the area, so no long term hauling will be planned for at least another 9 months. Also, I know a dually would be much better suited for this task. HOWEVER, buying this trailer prohibits upgrading to a more capable truck right now. My research indicates that the 250s and 350s were fairly close to capacites, and a 250 would actually haul a slightly heavier trailer (albeit with a lower payload capacity). Sounds like a 250 is nothing more than a detuned 350.

The payload, per what I could find online, is about 3400, and the overall GCWR is 20k. Obviously, this new trailer will pretty much max out the truck. I plan on overhauling the tranny with a tripple disc TC (brand unknown ATT), the usual upgrades a MUCH larger cooler. The front brakes are going to be upgraded with Cryo Slots and Hawk pads. A new turbo back 4" is going in, as well as a tripple pod on the pillar. Now for the questions:

What is a good, cost effective (and safe) upgrade for the suspension: bags, overload springs, sway control springs, etc...

I currently have a 27FB Starcraft (around 6k). The turbo surged unmercifully while in OD (kicked OD off and surge stopped). This was on I-95 S through SC and GA (not severely stressed). Will the stock turbo and intercooler handle the new load? How about the fuel system?

How well will the stock Sterling rear axle hold up? Will the 3:73s hold up or should I plan on upgrading in the future?

Real world experience: has anyone else done this? What upgrades and products did you use? Recommended slider hitches? What were the results? Are you still using the 250 to pull the big trailer? Is there anyting I may have missed? Aside from the tranny and brake upgrades, is there anything else I may need to do first?

****DISCLAIMER*****
Being my truck is now almost 9 model years old there was very little info I could find online (and most of that conflicted with each other). This is my first SD, but not first diesel (2004 6BT Ram 2500).

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,086 Posts
First off, I just transferred back to the Jax area from Winston Salem (Thanks for all the help, Scott). Now, down to business:

My family is going to full time out of a toy hauler (K-Z Inferno 3912 or equivalent) which weighs in the neighborhood of 11,500 empty and 18k GCW (about 3300 hitch weight). Initially, we plan to just pull it from campsite to campsite in the area, so no long term hauling will be planned for at least another 9 months. Also, I know a dually would be much better suited for this task. HOWEVER, buying this trailer prohibits upgrading to a more capable truck right now. My research indicates that the 250s and 350s were fairly close to capacites, and a 250 would actually haul a slightly heavier trailer (albeit with a lower payload capacity). Sounds like a 250 is nothing more than a detuned 350.

The payload, per what I could find online, is about 3400, and the overall GCWR is 20k. Obviously, this new trailer will pretty much max out the truck. I plan on overhauling the tranny with a tripple disc TC (brand unknown ATT), the usual upgrades a MUCH larger cooler. The front brakes are going to be upgraded with Cryo Slots and Hawk pads. A new turbo back 4" is going in, as well as a tripple pod on the pillar. Now for the questions:

What is a good, cost effective (and safe) upgrade for the suspension: bags, overload springs, sway control springs, etc...

I currently have a 27FB Starcraft (around 6k). The turbo surged unmercifully while in OD (kicked OD off and surge stopped). This was on I-95 S through SC and GA (not severely stressed). Will the stock turbo and intercooler handle the new load? How about the fuel system?

How well will the stock Sterling rear axle hold up? Will the 3:73s hold up or should I plan on upgrading in the future?

Real world experience: has anyone else done this? What upgrades and products did you use? Recommended slider hitches? What were the results? Are you still using the 250 to pull the big trailer? Is there anyting I may have missed? Aside from the tranny and brake upgrades, is there anything else I may need to do first?

****DISCLAIMER*****
Being my truck is now almost 9 model years old there was very little info I could find online (and most of that conflicted with each other). This is my first SD, but not first diesel (2004 6BT Ram 2500).
My Dad hauls a 35 ft fiver with an 06 F250 without any issues. I think the trailer is close to 12,000# empty. He upgraded with air bags and said it was needed. Your rear end should be fine change out the fluid with some synthetic gear oil. If you plan on keeping the stock turbo then invest in an ATS compressor housing it will cure the surge.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Your rear end should be fine change out the fluid with some synthetic gear oil.
What do you think comes in them from the Factory?

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,086 Posts
I don't know SoaggyDogg please feel free to answer:thumb:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Synthetic front and rear from Ford.

·
Desert Shield/Storm Vet
9,086 Posts
Thanks! Now wasn't it much more productive to give the answer up front instead of answering with a question? Please feel free to correct me anytime cause I don't claim to know it all and it helps the other members looking for info as well:thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts