Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my whole setup complete for filtering WVO. I ran my first 80 gallon batch yesterday, heated it to 150* for about 2 hours, let it settle overnight, then drained off the crap (alot of water), and ran 5 gallons through the filters, into my holding tank to test for water before I pumped it all through. I did the crackle test, and it didn't look too good.

How do I get the suspended water out of the oil? Does it have to be heated longer?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I know you have to let it cool so all the crap drops out of it, then drain it off the bottom.
I dont know how long I should keep it at 150* before turning the heaters off, and I don't know how low the temp should be before draining the sludge off the bottom?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
The best settling occures between 120 and 100 degrees f so let er cool till it drops below 100...like maybe 95 and then drain the crud.
What kind of filtration device did you make?

What do you mean the crackle test didn't look good? Did it pop and crackle or just get a few tiny bubbles or what be specific.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it took so long to get back, I went on a fishing trip. I will post pics of my setup later, as far as the crackle test, I heated it up to 300*, placed a drop of my filtered oil on the plate, and little bubbles formed, rose to the surface & popped - no crackle noises, just bubbles forming.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have no idea on how to post pictures in the order I want them, so they are all mixed up, but here they are

This one is kinda the whole thing, screened oil holding tank on the left, processor in the middle, and filtered / dewatered oil tank on the right

This is the filtered oil holding tank. This spigot just before the oil enters the tank is for the tractor because I wont be able to get the Vegistroke kit right away, I will be running a blend until then which will be in the holding tank.

This is my filter setup, they look like whole house filters, but they are actually 24" filter bag housings, the first is a 25 micron, the second a 5

This is the meter that is plumbed just before the holding tank. This will allow me to calculate my blending amounts by knowing how much oil I pump in the tank. Notice the 4.9 gallons. That is what I have pumped into my tank so far, and that is the oil that I tested for water

This is my finished fuel holding tank. Notice I not only plumbed it to fill my truck, but it can also circulate the contents. This is where the blending will take place. I plan to run 80% oil, 15% kero, 5% RUG, and a quart of Power Service w/ cetane booster to every 100 gallons of fuel.

This is actually where it all starts, my screened oil goes in this tank, waiting to be processed - notice the seperation at the bottom, this is after only 2 days of sitting at an outdoor temp of about 50 - 55 degrees, but the processor was on for one of them, which heats up the whole garage pretty good. Could this amount of seperation that fast be due to the fact that the oil I am collecting has alot of water in it?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Do you have a water block filter anywhere on there?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a water block filter anywhere on there?

Yea, the small filter just before the filler hose is a water block filter.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BUMP - I need to know how to fix this water issue! I have reheated the oil (about 80 g) since the first run, and ended up draining off about another quart of water, but it still didn't look too good on the crackle test (same results). I am working out of town all week, and really want to run my own fuel!!! (if I dont, it will cost me about $400 in fuel just to make it through Friday)

·
Registered
235 Posts
after a week of setting, just draw off the top.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
A quart of water in 80 gallons is ALOT or water.

I have never seen more than a few drops in a 50 gallon batch.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Pretty nice setup you got there. How are those pumps handling it? I just bought 2 of them, one for water (for watering my house in the summer off collected rain water) and the other to attempt to use for oil in my filter setup once I start with that.

From what I gather, heat the oil and let it settle for a few days. The longer it sits the better. Maybe you just need to let it sit longer?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The pumps are working great

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
did you get your water issue worked out?

Is that the 30 dollar clear water pumps i saw at northern tool? Are they loud or quiet?
How fast do they pump?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

Is that the 30 dollar clear water pumps i saw at northern tool? Are they loud or quiet?
How fast do they pump?
I have only used mine for water so far and it does a good job at it. its very quiet. yes you can hear its running but its not very loud at all. my fill rite 12v pump is quite a bit louder. now this is pumping water NOT oil.

i reduced the 1 inch to a 5/8 garden hose and was able to shoot water 20 feet or more holding my finger over the hose to spray. i think the 55 gal drum was empty in about 10 minutes (ruffly 5 ish gal a min) but remember that was pushing it through a 5/8 hose...

they will not self prime so that might be an issue for some.

I got mine from harborfreight. i think the ones at northern are 50 bucks now?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

How fast do they pump?

Yes, I finally got it figured out, I must have got a bad batch of oil. I talked to my main supplier, and he said that one of the new guys had left the lid off my tank for a couple of weeks. It just so happens that during that couple of weeks it rained pretty consistantly for about 10 days!

Anyways, I got it all figured out, and as of today I have about 750 miles on my blended WVO w/o any vehicle mods. I'm still going to get a vegistroke, but with fuel prices at $4.54 right now, I dont mind paying $0.74 a gallon!

Oh yea, I use HF 1" clear water pumps, and for $29.99, I can't complain. I dont know exactly how quick they are, but for transfering, they work just great. It takes about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes to fill my tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts