Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road today and I suddenly lost power. It runs horrible. It barely idles almost like its running on only a couple cylinders. I put a fresh fuel filter in it last two weeks ago. It starts easy but barley runs. It has 60-70 psi fuel pressure help me out. I had to tow it home. It knocks at really low idle

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My dads truck recently did this and turned out to be the harness coming into one of the injectors. Sucks to pull the valve covers but cheap fix and it seems to be pretty common....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i need some suggestions

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
no idea. i would check the harness connections. and maybe if you have o rhave access to an IR temp gun, start it up and check the temp on the exaust pipe on the manifold. see if cylinders arent firing...

injector rings? cracked piston? head gasket? broken rocker?

good luck and in either case here is a bump!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There are a world of possibilities. Find a way to pull codes and see if that gives you any indications. The UVC harnesses are a known trouble spot. But, other things are too. I hate to see you just start throwing $parts$ at it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The driver side of the motor is quiet and seems fine but its the passenger side in the back like cylinders 7 and 8 are knocking really bad and seems like they may not be firing right. My egts will not go over 200 and will not rev above 1800.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Help out here guys but isnt there an issue with the #8 cylinder being starved (reason for the HPX crossover). Possibly choked an injector. Try doing a buzz test on the injectors as well.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Check the connector to the wiring harness on that side. If OK pop the valve cover and check your harnesses.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the connection are good what would I look for under the cover

·
Registered
369 Posts
Fried wiring.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The truck i was talking about before was knocking also and would not rev up either. The wiring coming into the clip for your injectors may be plugged. We just had to take them off and clean them up and everything was normal again

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
seems like it might be a clogged injector how do I found out if thats the problem

·
Registered
165 Posts
Buzz test?

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
have you pulled the valve cover yet to see if the UVCH looks fried at all? Then Id do an injector buzz test like mentioned above

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah everything under the valve cover is good. im thinking the knocking sound is not enough fuel in the cylinder.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was a bad IDM modular.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
glad its resovled. thanks for the update! i learned something new anyway...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow, if nothing else, it was a good learning exp plus will go a good way at helpin others out. Glad you found it:thumb:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah it was lesson for me to. thanks for all the help

·
Registered
369 Posts
Glad you found the issue! Another weird IDM problem. There seems to be no end to them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts