Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 99 7.3 powerstroke and the truck will start but then after about 5 minutes it will just die. it will sometimes start and sometimes it wont. i thought it might have been bad fuel so i dump the water seporator and it helps sometimes. i replace the fuel filter and the fuel but it still happens. does anybody no what this might be thnks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i have a 99 7.3 powerstroke and the truck will start but then after about 5 minutes it will just die. it will sometimes start and sometimes it wont. i thought it might have been bad fuel so i dump the water seporator and it helps sometimes. i replace the fuel filter and the fuel but it still happens. does anybody no what this might be thnks.

Check your oil level in the high pressue oil pump. It is right there at the front of the motor. If isn't full, you may not be building enough pressue to run the injectors once the oil thins out when the motor warms up. Those 7.3 injectors run off oil pressure and if there is not enough oil to run the injectors, the truck will not start and/ or stall. Take the screw off the top of the pump and make sure there is oil in there. If that checks out it may be an ignition problem. post up your results.

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
Are you getting a check engine light? Look at the tach and see if it moves while cranking? I'm thinking its the CPS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea im thinking its the cps to the tach doesnt move. and i will check out the oil thanks for the help guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts