Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a used 10.5 Sterling rear axle. Only problem is it has the round companion flange and my truck came with the regular square U-joint flange. Is there anyway I can get this to work in my truck without having to remove the pinion from the diff and put my old pinion in. I drive a 2002 2-wheel drive

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Can you not just swap the flange with the old one?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you not just swap the flange with the old one?
I didn't want to have to pull the rear diff apart to put my yoke Inn. That's half the reason why I got a used one to not have to deal with the Crush Washer and everything. I've never rebuilt diff before and two I have no place to do it and don't have the time. Wanted to be able to pull my old one out and put this one in and be done with it

I basically want to know if I can just somehow pop the U-joints off my drive shaft and buy the coupler thats goes to the round companion and put that one on cause that's easier than pulling the diff apart

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
The crush sleeve is between the bearings, changing the yoke should not have an effect
I would use an impact wrench and buzz the old one off and re-install the same way, making sure the nut was tight but not further crushing the sleeve

EDIT: if the joints are the same size, yes that would work

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what I'm doing with diff so I don't want to take the chance of crushing the Crush Washer more than I'm supposed to. Plus if it's taken apart you're supposed to use a new one and a new nut to so .I don't want it jerry-rigged

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
That sleeve sets the pre-load on the bearings, if you have many miles, then likely needs a little more crush
blue lock tite on the nut

looking for zero end clearance on the bearings to slight preload -- really not rocket science

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just dont want to chance it. My luck I'll do it wrong and I'll need a new rear in a month. Rather just see if I can change it on the drive shaft side to make it work

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
What is wrong with the rear end you currently have?

Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Reactions: Heavy_GD

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The person I bought it from didnt believe in putting gear oil in it. So the races spin in the housing. The the pinion has put awesome Mark's in the Carrier

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I can change the yoke but I dont want to I dont have a garage and there is 2 feet of snow outside. Just want to know if it's possible to change my driveshaft to a companion

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
I'm confused, ..you dont want to change the yoke, ...OK
-- but your good with replacing the rear end in the snow? and possibly the driveshaft?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. Plus again I'm not comfortable dealing with the crush washer and it's simple to replace the rear. And pulling a u joint off the drive shaft is easier to me that doing the yoke and risking ruining something.again I know what I can do. I want to know if there is a easier way. Just want to know if I can change the flange on the driveshaft. I dont want to have to pull everything apart a million time and check back lash and everything. Cause I would not reuse the crush washer. That might be ok to some but It is technically not the right way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just take the DS to the shop and let them replace the yoke for 75 -125 bucks
I can do the u-joints no problem. Just need to know if I can switch the driveshaft flange. I would rather have the companion flang. Plus there are no shops around me that will do any kind of rear work already looked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts