Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so im very computer illiterate as it took me 2 hours to figure out how to start a thread for my questions, i am also not very mechanically inclined when it comes to diesels, reason why i am on here. i have a 2001 f-350 super duty 7.3l 4x4 with 85,000 miles and perfect lariat interior, point being i love this truck to death and im going to be barried in it. so im a little upset cuz i was recently deployed and let my brother drive it while i was gone so it didnt sit too long. now i am home, ever since i got back in it, it seems like it just isnt running the same. if it sits for a whole day, when i start it up sometimes it will lope for a second or two. i felt it shake just a little bit today and the other day when i was at a red light but it doesnt do it all the time, but i do know those could be signs of bad injectors. now also my turbo sounds weird, idk how to explain it but it just dont seem rite to me, also it feels like it is lagging a little bit. what do you guys think? im thinking of just getting my oil changed full synthetic and some rev-x maybe? also add "kleen-diesels" injector cleaner to my fuel everytime i fill up?? but also i have questions on what to put in my 7.3l. i may not need to replace injectors or turbo, but i am going to just to be safe and i do want to make it a bad ***** and go to the strip and beat up on some ricers, but i have to ball on budget and it is my DD. all i tow is palm trees, cattle and a mud truck. so if i do my injectors and turbo, what is best for performance? i heard stage 2 hybrids are good i guess swamps?? and that the h2e is bad ***, but the gtp38r is simpler, i jus want something bigger and badder, lol, but would i have to change alot of other things as well?? rite now all that is done to my truck is 6" lift on 35-13.50-20 mickey thompsons, dual tranny coolers, afe intake with the box divider or whtaver its called, lol, 4" straight piped with 5" flowmaster tip, and a superchips chip, im not sure what chip it is cuz my dad put it in and he is not around anymore so i cant ask. but it does get up and go for 7.3l. and it is a automatic. i just wanna get this thing moving real good and smooth and beat some ricers and duramax's, lol. yea yea i know its a 7.3 so its slow, but i dont want nothing else. oh and whatever turbo i get i think i want to add a wicked wheel to it and an after market wastegate, not sure who makes the best. i heard good things about banks wastegates and stuff. idk, hope you guys will help me out, thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i would also like to add the fact that my brother is an idiot and probably went running around town hot dogging it blowin black smoke everywhere trying to show off cuz my truck is very nice and pulls alot of women. lol, but anyways he probably beat the hell out of it. for some reason i have to replace the ball joints too. im gonna drop kick him in the throat when i get to his house. =) lol, oh and also my fuel mileage seems to be decreasing, i went from 15.8 mpg now to 14.2 within 3 weeks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good find for a low milage 7.3. I love mine to death. As for the problems, I would get a code scanner and see if you're throwing any codes. If you're not throwing any codes I'd take it to your local mechanic and see if he can diagnose your problems. Gauges are also a must as I am looking for a set. I would look at symptoms of Turbo-Flutter. I don't know much about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i was actually going to scan it today....didnt have the time, but i will. i didnt want to take it to a mechanic because i dont want them to bull**** me and try to make a whole bunch of money off me because i aint good with diesels. specially if i ask them what the best injecotrs and turbo and stuff to put in it for what i want, im sure they would just tell me the most expensive thing, i mean idk, ive never had to take my stuff to a mechanic.

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
Does the turbo make a cha-cha-cha when the turbo is spooled up? Does it smoke any at startup?? If so what color?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Winning DUHHH
2,389 Posts
Change all your filters and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
454 Posts
Before you use any additives in the oil read the Rev-x thread in this section. You might have to go in a page or two but take the time.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
definitely install gauges before you go any farther. how much are you looking to spend performance wise?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
aint got a whole lot of money. damn bills. but im willing to go broke spending my money on my powerstroke. but yea i been told to get gauges, im gonna look them up, think im gonna get isspro, i know the truck has a superchip in it but dont know what one, im sure it would be best to get rid of that and go with a custome tune, but idk wich one, i hear so mutch about TW, TS, beans, swamps, SCT, DP, PHP etc. figured i should jus change injectors anyway and go ahead and get stage 2's from swamps maybe?? and im jus gonna throw a wicked wheel in my turbo. then save up for a new turbo, but like i said idk whats best. i could rig up a gas motor all day long to be a bad ***** for the most part, but im lost with diesels, as mutch as i love them im tryng to learn and hope to get good advice

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh, and id like to get a set of tow mirrors with turn signals for my truck, i could only find them on ebay for like 280 bucks, and i also want a newer 2010 style tailgate but theyre like up near 800 bucks on ebay, cant find mirrors or tailgates anywhere else. any one know??

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Junkyards, craigslist, forums, etc. 2s would be good. But honestly, how much are you looking to spend? You could do a couple mods that you would be happy with for fairly cheap or spend $10k no problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea, so ive been reading alot of forums and looking up parts. i think im just gonna wait till i start having real bad problems with my injectors before i replace them and jus get stock ones cuz i deffinatley can not afford it, everyone keeps talking about upgrading HPOP and fuel systems and all kinds of crazyness if you go with stage 2 injectors and everything. would love to do it, but damn its expensive, guess i didnt realize what i was getting into, lol, im kinda disappointed now. i only get about 2000 bucks a month in the army, and 1600 of it goes to bills and food and what not. =( figured i could save up, but i added it all and it would take a long time before i even save the money for stage 2's. so im gonna get my ball joints done, wich apperently is gonna cost me 700 bucks, then save and go from there. so advice on cheap mods that i would be happy with would be real cool man, thanks. i feel like a kid that jus got his candy stolen, lol.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I know when I let people borrow my stuff and get it back I am always looking for scratches that werent there before and it always feels kinda different its hard to explain.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I don't remember what you said you have already but gauges, intake, exhaust. Stage 1s would probably make you happy and then just the chip w/custom tunes to wrap it all up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
aint got a whole lot of money. damn bills. but im willing to go broke spending my money on my powerstroke. but yea i been told to get gauges, im gonna look them up, think im gonna get isspro, i know the truck has a superchip in it but dont know what one, im sure it would be best to get rid of that and go with a custome tune, but idk wich one, i hear so mutch about TW, TS, beans, swamps, SCT, DP, PHP etc. figured i should jus change injectors anyway and go ahead and get stage 2's from swamps maybe?? and im jus gonna throw a wicked wheel in my turbo. then save up for a new turbo, but like i said idk whats best. i could rig up a gas motor all day long to be a bad ***** for the most part, but im lost with diesels, as mutch as i love them im tryng to learn and hope to get good advice
TS is the style of chip. I believe all their tunes are canned. My uncle has swamps tunes and his tunes are really smokey. DP is really costly, PHP will take some time as well as TW. I went with the PHP pheonix chip and I love it, but there has been some issues with them taking a while to get their stuff out.

oh, and id like to get a set of tow mirrors with turn signals for my truck, i could only find them on ebay for like 280 bucks, and i also want a newer 2010 style tailgate but theyre like up near 800 bucks on ebay, cant find mirrors or tailgates anywhere else. any one know??
08+ tailgates can run as low as $400, but you will have to get it paint matched. This guy has one for sale for $450, but it needs painted to your red.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/exterior-parts/266286-2008-super-duty-tailgate.html

yea, so ive been reading alot of forums and looking up parts. i think im just gonna wait till i start having real bad problems with my injectors before i replace them and jus get stock ones cuz i deffinatley can not afford it, everyone keeps talking about upgrading HPOP and fuel systems and all kinds of crazyness if you go with stage 2 injectors and everything. would love to do it, but damn its expensive, guess i didnt realize what i was getting into, lol, im kinda disappointed now. i only get about 2000 bucks a month in the army, and 1600 of it goes to bills and food and what not. =( figured i could save up, but i added it all and it would take a long time before i even save the money for stage 2's. so im gonna get my ball joints done, wich apperently is gonna cost me 700 bucks, then save and go from there. so advice on cheap mods that i would be happy with would be real cool man, thanks. i feel like a kid that jus got his candy stolen, lol.
Exhaust-Straight pipe the exhaust and do a 4" down pipe to help it breathe.

Intake-look up the 6637 filter, Do not get a K&N filter. They aren't very good on these trucks. I bought the kit from Riffraff, but I know I didn't pay that much for it lol. Go to Napa and get the filter and just get a piece of 4" PVC pipe and cut to fit.
Riffraff Diesel: RDP 6637 Filter Kit

Gauges-Boost, trans, EGTs. If you have a manual then you won't need the trans temp. Isspro is a good brand, but pricey. Glowshifts are cheap, but there have been complaints about them going bad.

Injectors-Saying stg2's is a wide range of sizes. Everybody who sells injectors lists their CC/% differently. 238/100s and 250/100s are a common stage 2 injector, but you'll want to save money for a T4 mount kit and maybe a S366. You could also go smaller as in the 160s and you might be fine with stock turbo.

If you do injectors, I'd look into a Terminator Hpop. You might be fine with a stock hpop for 160cc injectors. The single shots take less oil, but you will put strain on your stock hpop if you go with a larger injector.

This is the place that I would get injectors from.
Reman 7.3 Injectors

As far as ball joints, I'd go to a parts store like Auto zone and rent a ball joint press (which is a "C" clamp and press pieces) and do it yourself. $700 is kinda ridiculous for something that you and a mechanically inclined friend could do for the price of parts and beer.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Well I just looked at your profile and see you have an AFE intake and an exhaust already. Look into a chip and get gauges before a chip.

Also, if you get injectors and chip and stuff you might want to look into beefing up your trans.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I don't remember what you said you have already but gauges, intake, exhaust. Stage 1s would probably make you happy and then just the chip w/custom tunes to wrap it all up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
i have dual tranny coolers, 4" straight pipe, afe stage 2 dry intake, and a chip my dad put in, i think its a superchips, but my dad isnt around nymore so idk, cant ask him.
first thing i did when i bought the truck was the intake and tranny coolers, then i lifted it, then i straight pipped it, then without me knowing, my dad decides to put a chip in it as my going away to afghan :50cal: present, lol, all i remember was him mentioning it was a superchips. not quite sure how to figure out what exactly it is and if its worth a damn, but i do know that my truck moves pretty damn quick for 7.3 haha.... =) but im addicted, i need more. lol. if i can get rid of the turbo lag and make sure my injectors are good and clean, i bet it would pick up a lil more. btw i put some diesel kleen injector cleaner in it 3 days ago, gonna do it again in a couple more weeks, still getting the occasional shake like i have a bad injector, not to mention the exhaust sounds a lil more choppy than usual. (yes i know 7.3s naturally sound choppy, but it sounds even more than normal) idk, i might jus be paranoid, lol. :eek:hnoes:

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Is the miss when you first start it up? And is it a white smoke when warming up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts