Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

My grandpa and dad were both diesel mechanics and I love working on my motorcycle. But, there is NO way I would ever try to even imagine working on a diesel. I have no idea if buying a Ford diesel is the way I should go. Here's my dilemma:

I currently own a 2010 FJ Cruiser and I love it, but it won't tow more than 5,000 lbs and that's a strain...and currently, all I'm towing is a 6x10 ft. motorcycle trailer which I converted into a toy hauler/camper. I'm ready to move into a larger toy hauler and I want a truck that will tow at least 10,000 lbs. I owned a 2006 F-150 and it wasn't powerful enough to tow more than 5,000 lbs comfortably...and I don't want another F-150. I want at least a 250 gas or diesel or a 350, but after looking at several dealerships....OOOOOHWEEEEE....the pricetag! Holy moly! I don't want a huge payment every month.

My needs are as follows:

• My new (used) truck will be primarily a daily driver for me with a few short trips occasionally. On a daily basis, I drive maybe 3 - 6 miles a day as I live where I work and all I really do is drive to the bank and back every day when I do the business deposit. Otherwise, my FJ just sits and looks pretty.
  • I won't be towing heavy loads often, maybe 6 - 8 times a year when I take my motorcycle and (new) toy hauler (GVW 10,000 lbs) camping in WV, PA, FL or anywhere for that matter.
  • I want to be able to pull the loaded toad up hills with no problems.
  • I can't afford a big monthly truck payment or huge maintenance costs. I know diesel requires expensive glow plugs, oil changes, upkeep...not sure I can afford it.
  • My FJ is worth $11,000 in trade-in value towards another used or new vehicle. It's in GREAT shape and well maintained, so I want to optimize my trade-in allowance and use it towards my next truck purchase. I really want to buy a used truck in great shape that hasn't been beaten to death.
  • I've looked at F-250 and F-350 Power Strokes and LOVE them! But, if I buy one, I might be in over my head. I don't want to trade my dependable FJ for a used nightmare.
  • I've looked at gas powered F-250 V-10s but they are gas hogs.

I want to make an intelligent and informed decision and I'm having a really hard time. I want to trade in my FJ which runs perfectly, but I don't want to buy someone else's money sucking mistake. Also, being a woman, when the sales guys at the dealerships see me, they start the shady talk and think I'm an idiot, try to rake me over the coals. It's annoying. I'm pretty intelligent about cars, motorcycles, etc. as I have mechanical aptitude. I inherited my daddy's wrench turning genes! ;) But, I know gas engines...not diesel.

I owe $9,000 on my FJ Crusier, trade in is $20,000 as of today as these vehicles are in demand. This leaves me $11,000 to spend on trade-in.

Should I buy a gas 250 or should I buy a diesel 250 or 350?
Sound, logical advice is appreciated!

Thanks everyone...much appreciated!

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you can work on your motorcycle, and are mechanical inclined, you can work on a diesel truck; don't sell yourself short there.
A little research and a little gumption to get it done and you can do it. My wife doesn't like to say she could work on either of my trucks, but if push came to shove, she's capable, even if she wouldn't admit it.
It's just a different set of details to learn about.

Some of the diesel having higher replacement & maintenance coats can be mitigated by doing the work yourself. Yes, some parts will cost more, but some of those are also going to happen in a gasser too, chassis is the same. Doing the work yourself will always save you labor costs, which for me works out well enough. I know every inch of my '91 F150 as I wanted to do it myself and save overall costs, plus I enjoy it. So far I've done that same for my F250: a little bit o' research and in I go.

For 11k, you could settle in with a nice 7.3 truck [not that I'm biased or anything :bluewink: ], and the 7.3 is much easier to maintain, a simpler system, and much more tolerant of non-strict maintenance schedules.

I drive my F250 as my DD. It does great, and it would do fine there.
However, it won't like to sit long periods. It will want to be out and driven. Maybe the newer trucks are better for that, one of the other members would be able to chime in there.

I wasn't looking for a diesel, but when I found my truck and it had one, and it didn't dissuade me from getting it. I'm glad I got it.

In the end, only you can decide gasser or diesel. Either way, stepping up to a F250 or F350 is a step in the right direction, IMHO.
Good luck.

:thumb:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts