Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the truck to start back up...

Here's the deal. I was getting ready to leave my parents house and noticed my truck a lopey idle for a minute or two then it cleared up and idled properly. So I leave and get half way down their street and all the sudden the rpms jump up to about 1500-1600 and the drop quickly back to below 500 to about 300 or so..

It is running at this point, but only for a second. It dies as soon as I crest a small hill. I pulled the truck over to a side street cut the key off and let it sit for a minute. I did notice while the key was on the battery light was on but it usually when the key is turn on but truck not running..

After I let it sit I decided to try and start her, she started up just fine. Let her idle for about 5 minutes and off to the house I went. I made it home with no other issues.

Any idea what would cause my truck to die on me and then crank back up like nothing was ever wrong?

Thanks and sorry for how long this is!:thumb:
(1996 F250 w/ 176k / Auto)

·
Registered
245 Posts
My CPS failure acted like this. Sometimes it ran fine for a couple days. Other days it died frequently but always restarted. Sometimes had strange idle behavior, others smooth as glass. But it can be many things. Can you scan for codes or have it done?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the CPS was/is my first thought.

And no I have not scanned for codes and I do not have a scanner.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts