Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was needing a little help please in identifying a nut/bolt I found loose on my 05’ Ex 4x4 6.0L. I am needing help to find out if this is the correct nut/bolt or if someone just put whatever they could in it’s place.

I believe it is the tie-rod mount on the drivers side. The mount bolts to the frame and again to a cross member. It is the bolt on the cross member in question.

While installing a new K&N intake last night I happened to drop a bolt for the bushing in the air box. While searching for it I found this bolt/nut loose. Scary to say the least. I just purchased this truck not long ago, I’ve had the front sway bar bushings replaced and drag link. I don’t believe they would have touched this bolt but shocked they didn’t find it because brought the truck in for drifting/clunking issues while turning.

I have started to do a full on inspection of every nut & bolt underneath to ensure they’re tight and no more surprises.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
That is not the same setup as an F series so I can not help as far as if it is factory but it obviously needs to be bolted down so fix it ;-)

and with all the information on here you still decided to install a K&N on a 6.0 ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I went with K&N, it was really cheap compared to a stock replacement and much more affordable than others.

I will definitely bolt it down again, but am curious to know if this is the original nut/bolt so when I replace it I have more information.
Thanks

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
That K&N being cheap was a great reason to install it
who cares that it lets fine abrasives into the motor

the tab on that nut looks very Fordish
but the way it was mounted does not so that's all I have since I don't have an EX handy to look at ,, someone else may be along soon to clear it up

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wasn’t aware K&N lets fine abrasive grit into the motor, thanks for the heads up. I could possibly swap it out in the near future with a higher mesh filter. 😬

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
i would send it all back and put back the OEM filter that can hold multiple pounds of dirt and has a proven filtration rate
the independent test and firsthand experience show that K&N is a poor choice

·
Premium Member
10,099 Posts
I wasn’t aware K&N lets fine abrasive grit into the motor, thanks for the heads up. I could possibly swap it out in the near future with a higher mesh filter. 😬
k&n is infamous for dusting turbos.. They do alright with naturally aspirated et ups but they developed a nasty reputation with diesels very quickly. You would do better to get a used stock system. Many test have show its truly a good filter set up even without tuning and injectors it has enough flow/filtering to meet the need. Folks share information to help people so its not just internet lor. The mods and community here has been great for sniffing out crap and lies to keep the forum a good trusted source. A lot of "smarter than me" folks just share info to help.

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
hell my 05 gasser and K&N was a joke

I had two identical trucks one had the K&N the other did not the MAF was always needing cleaned ( dusted intake also ) in the truck with the K&N even as I moved the filter between trucks to see what was going on

, hold a K&N up to the light and you can see thru them they don't impede water flow much either like a paper element would

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help and tips on the k&n, I will definitely be either swapping back to stock or possibly upgrading to a higher micron filter if I can find one.

I stopped past my local nut/bolt supplier and got more info on the one I found loose. It appears to be stock, so I just cleaned it all up and torqued it up as best I could with my torque wrench.

I did a lot of reading last night on this site, some amazing information here. When I swap back air assemblies I think I will do the blue spring upgrade just because it sounds like a good idea. The engine seems to run strong with no known issues, I’ll do my best to keep it this way.

Thanks again

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just picked up an OEM fuel pressure regulator blue spring kit from Ford and will be doing that this evening along with my air filter swap back. I feel I paid too much for the kit @ $150 CAD but after reading about some 3rd party that are cheaper and people having issues I decided fork out the cash. Plus I didn’t have to wait for it. 😁

·
Registered
240 Posts
You can order motorcraft parts a lot cheaper off Amazon. I buy fuel filters and air filter there about 30 dollars cheaper on both. Most people use k&n for on road use only.

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
i would be very careful on Amazon
counterfeit parts from spark plugs, filters and even unit bearings and beyond are plentiful

·
Administrator
31,696 Posts
those counterfeiters are so good but most times it is the box that gives them away lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I finished up with the blue spring, it’s quite the noticeable difference in length of springs compared to the one I took out. As I was reading, that’s to be expected. The job itself was super easy thanks to this site and youtube.

I also changed both fuel filters, the engine oil & filter and new batteries. I also went back to stock air filter and bought a new one. Next up is the trans filter & transfer case along with both diffs.

I wasn’t having any issues prior to this maintenance, but what a new breath of life it has already. I’ve only started it a few times in my garage but I can hear the difference bigtime.

I just bought this truck about 6 months ago and have only put about 500km on it. I’m trying to reset the maintenance schedule on it as best as I can. The truck itself has 186000km and in pretty good condition all around.

Anyways, thanks for your input everyone. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Also available on Amazon are Ford parts rejected by Ford for quality issues. Ford sells them in bulk - good friend who is Ford partsman was source for this info.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts