Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new smog test laws I need to get a converter put in the truck to pass, anyone now where to get one for 7.3? Can only find ones doe gas trucks so far - are they the same? I would not think so. :(

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
A junk yard will not sell you just an cat but the will sell you the whole exhaust system which includes the cat. You can try calling around all the junk yards looking for a exhaust system. I'd sell you mine but it went to the scrapper long time ago.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Are you sure your truck even needs a cat?

Check on the passenger side valve cover. There is a sticker that says what emissions stuff your engine has. Most e test shops are so used to older diesels not needing them they don't even question it

Then again you are in California

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
some e-99's have them some dont, vin and side valve cover will tell you...

no they're not the same as a gas one

a junk yard (at least here) will not sell them because it is worth more $$ for them to scrap them rather than sell.

so, as for where to get one....either check a local diesel performance shop (they throw them out alot when they do upgrades for customers, thats where I got my cal-less one) or saddly have to go to ford (check with 'ford' a vendor here they do some good deals). I've not found another place to get them....

Oh and a side note, if you know a person who's a good welder they can 'make' one as it is on a visual inspection so as long at it looks like one is there your good :tumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in SoCA also, and my '99 has a sticker under the hood that it's a non-catalytic. Also, there was a guy on SD craigslist that had one for sale, for ever. Good luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need a Cat I have one of the small% of trucks in Cal that says "Catalytic" on the sticker :( - previous owner removed it and install 4" turbo back system. No big deal when I bought it as diesels did not need to get smogged then, but now do.

Thanks to everyone I will drive around to day and see what I can find.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The craigslist ad I saw is gone, but there is a guy with one for a 6.0 for $400. Not sure that's helpful though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Dang!!!I just gave mine to the scrap guy at work for $50! Wish I wouldn't have sold it now, I could've shipped it your way. Alabama doesn't care what color is blowing out the back of your vehicle hahah

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
harley dont remind us.

i dont condone poor running vehicles, but hell theres gotta be somebody that steps up to question how much good will come of some of these crack pot ideas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
question and you will be labled.....and its OK to bully someone that has been labled...heck, you can even discriminate against labled people...watch yourself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Harley would love to move - but family and work requires staying a little longer.

Anyway still need to find a cat I can use for smog - any one else have one or maybe seem one?

Also my truck has a 6" lift on it and it eats front tires - again this is a 2wd any one else with one and have a good front end alinment to save on tire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts