Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 f250 with a 6.0l with 213k miles. I was hard to start for a couple days taking 45 seconds + to start then it would not start at all. Any ideas what it could be? I know it is not getting fuel but all my fuel pumps are working. Im thinking it is a oil pressure problem due to it controls the fuel but not sure. I pulled the turbo and replaced the oil sensor that regulates the fuel due to a guy i work with told me that he had the same problem and that fixed it but i put it all back together and now it still will not start so that was $200 down the drain. I have horses that depend on this truck and i need to get it running asap any help or suggestions.

Also I herd that there is a port on the engine that you can hook up a shop air hose and apply pressure to the oil system to find the leak and i have again stripped my turbo and everything off trying to find this port with no success.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
First, download and read up on your engine. People will be throwing acronyms at you and you will not have a clue what it all means if you do not at least browse through it.

2003.25 Powerstroke Coffeetable book

Given the long crank times, You have a high pressure oil leak. You have a different style HPO system than the 2004-up engines (unless your ICP is on the passenger side valve cover). You have a "log" style oil rail. There are no dummy plugs, so your leak is either the standpipes or your HPOP is dead (a small chance that the o-rings on top of the injectors are gone as well). You could also have a failed IPR, and you would have to describe this thing that you spent 200 on and it didn't work. Where was it? What does it look like?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sensor I already changed acres into the plate that covers the high pressure oil pump. There are two sensors there and I replaced the front one. I figured it is a high pressure leak I am just not sure how to find where it is leaking. As for the oil rail it is the log style if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Download that book and tell me which one you replaced.
This book has the procedure for air testing the high pressure oil system. Look around page 48 as numbered on the document. Keep in mind that your ICP is mounted on the HPOP cover. You have to remove that and get the special tool (or make one).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced what looks to be the IPR. It showed in the book that there was an oil pressure test port on the oil filter housing base what is that one for?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the book on page 24 it called it a oil pressure test port. You are saying that for me to pressure test it I have to pull out the icp sensor on the high pressure oil pump cover and and make and adapter to hook my shop air hose up to it to find the leak that way?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Yes. The "oil pressure test port" is on the LOW pressure oil system and not on the HIGH pressure oil system. Your leak is on the high pressure oil system (or the lack of the HPOP to produce the pressure required).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to do te Hugh pressure I have to remove the ice sensor which is the back sensor on the HPOP cover and make a fitting to hook a air hose to it and listen for a leak?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Did you command the IPR using straight 12 volts to one of the pins?
You should hear a slight hiss from the HPOP area no matter what, and when you stop commanding the IPR, it will dump all the air. If the hiss under the HPOP cover is not a slight hiss, it is probably a HPOP failure.
Truthfully, the weak spot of the High pressure oil system on the 03 is the actual HPOP itself. Not saying that the pump is your issue, just for informational purposes only. Those pumps aren't cheap, and If I had an 03 or 04, I don't know if I would put another stock one back in. The best replacement for that pump will run you a grand.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Yeah, you have to command the IPR valve to make any difference.
12 volts to either pin, it doesn't matter which. Ground the other pin, don't let them cross.
Do not command the IPR using the full 12 volts for longer than a full minute to 90 seconds. If you do you could overheat the IPR, since during normal running it does not see 12 volts. Give the IPR a 90 second rest before commanding it again.
Listen for a slight hiss at the HPOP cover, it should be nothing more than a very slight hiss. Any more than that and it is probably the HPOP or a split branch tube (which isn't very much fun).
If you hear it under the valve cover, it could be the o-rings on top of the injectors where they meet the rail or a standpipe. I have also heard that the ballbearing pressed into the top of the HPOP housing drops out of there on occasion.

The dipstick comes out, the oil fill cap comes off (and maybe the turbo oil supply line disconnected) for the testing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did that an did have a small Hiss under the HPOP cover but I did not hear anything coming from the valve covers. Before I would hook power to the IPR the his was louder but as soon as I hooked power it it it got alot quieter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts