Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing ball joints on my 07 F250 4x4. I have everything back together, but after installing the hub and torquing down the hub nuts on the back, there isn't enough axle sticking out to put the inner snap ring back on. I disassembled and removed the axle again, used the inner seal tool to verify it was seated on the axle, and then reassembled.

Still no luck.

I inserted the locking hub and it seated just fine.

What did I do wrong? I don't want to leave that inner snap ring off.

thank you in advance.
Jeremy

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do you have big enough snap pliers?

Redo it with more lube and whack that seal harder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
34,305 Posts
pry the axle forward from the u-joint ( inside the knuckle /Axle C area while you do the ring

have someone help you or find a way to keep the pressure on the u joint/axle shaft

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like zmann said, get an extra set of hands and pry it. You do the ring. Generous with the liquid wrench too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
34,305 Posts
should not need any penetrating lube
the axle just slides from the inner axle seal and inside the unit bearings sealed stub shaft bearing

just sometimes it gets pushed back during assembly

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
The answer is maybe, …maybe not

Only takes a few minutes to place the snap ring, why take the chance

almost any tool you have handy placed between the axle housing and the shaft will hold the stub outward

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
92 Posts
When I did the job, I used one of the adapters from my ball joint set. Get the snap ring on the shaft and use an adapter to push it into place, while holding the ring open. Nothing else worked for me. I was able to use cheap harbor frieght pliers with this method.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
The knipex 4611 snap ring pliers will do the job

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
94 Posts
Last time I had one apart I had this same problem getting it back together.
What I found was the axle and u-joint seem to want to settle down and hang
up on the inside of the opening of the knuckle. By giving it a little lift I got it
to go into place. So before going nuts you may want to check and see if the
u-joint is resting on the inside of the opening. Once I figured it out all I needed
to do was lift is with my hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.