Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this probably isnt the right forum for this, but if any of you have read my previous threads i was having problems when i truck was cold. Well i just got the code checked. its the ICP. Hello 275$ :doh: i wasnt to happy about that. but they wanted another 300$ to change it. So i just figured i could do it myself. So now the question to you guys. How do i change it. where is it located etc..... sorry i'm a newby. gotta learn somehow

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I bet you it aint the ICP (which is just a sensor located on top of the drivers side head)
I’d bet it is the IPR which is the injector pressure regulator located beneath the fuel filter bowl. It control the ICP pressure. Sometime you can just change the Orings on it and clean it. Pretty easy job, less than 1 hour.
I don’t know how much I would trust a shop that wants $300 to spend 5 minutes changing a sensor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well this was the ford dealership i took it to. and they gave me a print out of the code the check engine light was throwing. And it said ICP. i changed it last night. and it was all better this morning. it hasnt acted up since. so hopefully that was the problem.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I had my ICP go up on my 96 and it was about 200 just for the sensor and that was the cheapest I could find...its stupid expensive

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea i think together for the diagnosis and the sensor was 275$ and for them to change was a total of 546$. Crazy i know. But thats what they seem to do at the ford dealership here.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
I got a spare one on eBay for like $35 back before I got my predator programmer/scanner and was having a problem I couldn’t figure out. You can find parts cheap if you have the time to shop around and wait.
$546 is a crazy price to diagnose and change a ICP. We got a guy at work that wouldn’t listen to me and took his truck to our local Ford place, cost him near $400 for them to put a new CPS in it. I would have sold him my spare CPS for $50 and put it in for him. (back then Ford wanted $200 for them)

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok ebay has those sensors around 80.00 bucks my problem is ipr anybody know a easy way to change it out without taking a bunch of parts off the get to the nut?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unplug the electrical connector-remove the "nut" that holds the body on (barely finger tight when I did mine) then slide a deep well 29mm socket over the unit and break loose. spin out by hand

A few of the wires are in the way and the HPOP oil lines to get much room, but it is doable with it all in place and doesn't take long at all (atleast not once you have done it once)

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
Yep, seems like I used a 1-1/8" extra deep socket when I did mine. The tinnerman nut was tight enough that I need a socket for it too. I have changed the IPR several times and it takes about 10 minutes. If you don't want your engine covered with oil you may want to stuff some rags under there first.
I need to swap the one on my new truck with my spare one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts