Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I have a 1999 ford f250 7.3 4x4. I use it for my landscaping business and I plow if we ever get a little bit of snow around here where i live which is rare. I was using the truck the other day and the OD light popped on. It didnt blink it just came on. We got about 2 inches of snow and i was doing a couple parking lots that I am contracted to do. When I got onto the highway you could tell it just didnt have the power it usually does. I went home to take a shower and eat before going back out and when I restarted the truck the light was off and all was well. The next day I threw the scanner on it and it pulled P1391 and p1393 bank 1 and 2 glow plug circuit. I purchased a new relay or solenoid and have not put it in yet due to the cold temps hoping to get it in later today. Could that cause the OD light to come on and the truck to run a little sluggish?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay appreciate it. let me ask you another question too while i have ya here. Does the trans have to be dropped to replace the TSS?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I threw my scanner on the truck which is a pretty cheap one. Need to get it to a shop but it read P1391 and P1393 Glow Plug Circuit Bank 1 and Bank 2. I purchased a new Glow Plug Solenoid or Relay which I will install tomorrow when it warms up a little bit. Been in the low twenties and I have been soft lately in the cold temperatures. I was hoping maybe that was the reason the light was coming on. Hasnt came on since that night a few days ago. Was going to have a transmission service done, but I guess I should just get it to a trans shop. I just dont trust any of these places anymore. My family members and I have had so many transmissions done and I just cant see how it is always rebuild every time LOL

·
Vendor
12,812 Posts
Okay appreciate it. let me ask you another question too while i have ya here. Does the trans have to be dropped to replace the TSS?
You do not have to pull the trans to change the Turbine Speed Sensor. It is a bit hard to reach, but can be done.

I threw my scanner on the truck which is a pretty cheap one. Need to get it to a shop but it read P1391 and P1393 Glow Plug Circuit Bank 1 and Bank 2. I purchased a new Glow Plug Solenoid or Relay which I will install tomorrow when it warms up a little bit. Been in the low twenties and I have been soft lately in the cold temperatures. I was hoping maybe that was the reason the light was coming on. Hasnt came on since that night a few days ago. Was going to have a transmission service done, but I guess I should just get it to a trans shop. I just dont trust any of these places anymore. My family members and I have had so many transmissions done and I just cant see how it is always rebuild every time LOL
Yes, I know. I have a customer down south who took his truck to a shop that was supposedly very reputable and the shop told him he needed a new engine due to low compression. He asked for the compression results and they told him they dont know since they never pulled the valve covers to actually do the test. They just said "we could tell it was low.". :eek: :taze: :doh:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL ya thats insane. To be honest Im not a cheap person and I have no problem paying what I have to when it is needed. When I am given a price I do not try to chew anyone down. I know how that is being in business for myself. I just hate never knowing for sure and spending on necessary money on something that does not to do be done. I rather spend that same money with that same place doing upgrades in other areas to the vehicle.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I go to install the Glow Plug Relay/solenoid, should I unhook the battery cables or not needed? Have you heard of wires getting the insulation rubbed off under the steering column? Also i was watching some videos on youtube. Have you heard of transmissions acting up and eventually being destroyed by fault ground wires or is that all bs and yes maybe the grounds were not in the best shape but not the cause of their transmissions getting fried.

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Always disconnect the ground cables from both batteries -- you never know when one of the hot wires will jump over to your Snap-on wrench an burn the chrome

Hey Bubba, what you do with that hot wire -- I stuck it in behind that hose, it'll be fine
BZzzzttt --- hey the trucks on fire -- quick, grab the garden hose

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
Check the harness where it exits the shifter handle -- the wires can get worn there and ground out

·
Vendor
12,812 Posts
When I go to install the Glow Plug Relay/solenoid, should I unhook the battery cables or not needed? Have you heard of wires getting the insulation rubbed off under the steering column? Also i was watching some videos on youtube. Have you heard of transmissions acting up and eventually being destroyed by fault ground wires or is that all bs and yes maybe the grounds were not in the best shape but not the cause of their transmissions getting fried.
As Hydro mentioned, definitely disconnect the battery grounds when going the glow plug relay.

Yes, I have heard many stories about bad ground wires causing issues. More so with the 94.5-97 trucks though. It seem with those years Ford collaborated with Chrysler on some idiotic schematics. Lol.

Sometimes (not very often) the glow plugs not working is due to a bad PCM. The PCM calls for a ground to "latch" when the key is in the run position to turn the relay on. So a cheap way around it is to run a push button switch in the cab.

Another example of bad ground wires are the 5R110 transmissions in the 6.0's are prone to welding the pump to the pump bushing. So a good trans builder will supply extra grounds with the new transmission to connect the bell housing to the frame.

So yes, bad or missing grounds can cause issues.

www.cncfab.us

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
@[email protected] :lol:
"6.0's are prone to welding the pump to the pump bushing"

That was Chryslers contribution to Fords ground design
Hey Guys ,, lets ground thru the crankshaft bearings and rear axle -- we can save money

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not far at all from toms river maybe 25 minutes from my door. THank you very much for the advice and recommendation. Would it be okay to mention I found them through you? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Its nice to have someone with your knowledge take the time and not make me feel more like an idiot than i already am lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought a Glow plug relay from advanced auto parts because I wanted it today and not have to wait which i regret not just getting from ford which would have taken a day lol. I tightened the first one too much and cracked it $50 down the drain. They had one more left at advanced today so i bought it and when i got home i opened it and was expecting it and I shook it and noticed it making a lot of noise. I decided to put it in anyway. Seems to be fine but not sure what to look for if it was dropped at the store or something. The first one I over tightened the studs were moving from me cracking it through. Truck started right up didnt notice anything so hope all is well with that. I than went to the rear end where the sensor is on the rear end pumpkin. It was so rusty and seemed like it was original. I could not get it unplugged and didnt want to break the tabs off. I decided while i had the batteries unhooked to just unbolt it and pull it out while plugged in. I did that and it did have a lot of crap on it and looked like it could def be replaced but again i tried to unplug it and one side of the tab broke so i gave up on that because I was afraid if i broke the other side Id be screwed if it came loose. I noticed that the new sensor i got from ford that I did not get a chance to install was a little longer than the original one. Is that normal? Can you replace the ends on the plug if in the future I need to put the new one in and have no other choose but to break the plug to get it unhooked? I reinstalled the sensor that was already in but cleaned it off and than I noticed the ground on the passenger side from the body to the frame was mainly gone except where the ends are on each connection. I took some thick welding cable and make a new ground and used a wire brush adapter on my drill and clean where they screw in really good. Hooked the batteries back up and started the truck. It started back up without issue and sounded good. I actually thought it sounded better but probably just my imagination. I took it for a ride it was a short ride but I had didnt have any issues with the the trans like i used to. Hoping it stays that way havent had a chance to really drive it a long distance but im just hoping I didnt screw anything up. Never really worked on my truck too much. Last time i did i did the o ring on the fuel bowl drain and of course i noticed today its leaking again. Barely but its leaking. would like to just put a little hose with a plug instead of that lever. Oh ya so after just blabbering on I forgot what my point was lol but anyway I threw the scanner back on when i got home and nothing came up. Do you think that the problem was addressed with the new glow plug relay or is it just not popping up because i unhooked the batteries and didnt drive it enough for it to come back on. Also the Abs light and the service engine soon light is not on anymore either

·
Vendor
12,812 Posts
I am not far at all from toms river maybe 25 minutes from my door. THank you very much for the advice and recommendation. Would it be okay to mention I found them through you? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Its nice to have someone with your knowledge take the time and not make me feel more like an idiot than i already am lol.
Sure, I just talked to Harry (the owner) a few days ago. He ordered a few sets of our fuel line kits.

·
Vendor
12,812 Posts
I bought a Glow plug relay from advanced auto parts because I wanted it today and not have to wait which i regret not just getting from ford which would have taken a day lol. I tightened the first one too much and cracked it $50 down the drain. They had one more left at advanced today so i bought it and when i got home i opened it and was expecting it and I shook it and noticed it making a lot of noise. I decided to put it in anyway. Seems to be fine but not sure what to look for if it was dropped at the store or something. The first one I over tightened the studs were moving from me cracking it through. Truck started right up didnt notice anything so hope all is well with that. I than went to the rear end where the sensor is on the rear end pumpkin. It was so rusty and seemed like it was original. I could not get it unplugged and didnt want to break the tabs off. I decided while i had the batteries unhooked to just unbolt it and pull it out while plugged in. I did that and it did have a lot of crap on it and looked like it could def be replaced but again i tried to unplug it and one side of the tab broke so i gave up on that because I was afraid if i broke the other side Id be screwed if it came loose. I noticed that the new sensor i got from ford that I did not get a chance to install was a little longer than the original one. Is that normal? Can you replace the ends on the plug if in the future I need to put the new one in and have no other choose but to break the plug to get it unhooked? I reinstalled the sensor that was already in but cleaned it off and than I noticed the ground on the passenger side from the body to the frame was mainly gone except where the ends are on each connection. I took some thick welding cable and make a new ground and used a wire brush adapter on my drill and clean where they screw in really good. Hooked the batteries back up and started the truck. It started back up without issue and sounded good. I actually thought it sounded better but probably just my imagination. I took it for a ride it was a short ride but I had didnt have any issues with the the trans like i used to. Hoping it stays that way havent had a chance to really drive it a long distance but im just hoping I didnt screw anything up. Never really worked on my truck too much. Last time i did i did the o ring on the fuel bowl drain and of course i noticed today its leaking again. Barely but its leaking. would like to just put a little hose with a plug instead of that lever. Oh ya so after just blabbering on I forgot what my point was lol but anyway I threw the scanner back on when i got home and nothing came up. Do you think that the problem was addressed with the new glow plug relay or is it just not popping up because i unhooked the batteries and didnt drive it enough for it to come back on. Also the Abs light and the service engine soon light is not on anymore either
This is the relay we always recommend to customers. I have yet to have a warranty claim in 5 years. Bad grounds can cause all kinds of weird issues. If a sensor/device isnt grounded through its normal route, the power will find its own ground and can back feed to another sensor and cause all kinds of wacky things.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498014-western-snowplow-glowplug-relay-west-56131k2.html

1 - 20 of 24 Posts