Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a company north of the border that will modify my turbo out of a stocker for me.
They want to put a 64mm wheel in it....so my question is, would this be to much turbo for stock sticks?
They have a 62mm available but the price is the same either way.
Not sure what direction to go in....:dunno:

·
Registered
809 Posts
What is the company and what does it cost?

·
Premium Member
9,996 Posts
A 64 will be great up top but laggy off the line. A 62 is better for towing versus the 64 but could still be laggy just not as bad as the 64.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
look at turbo engineering out of red bluff california. They do the same thing. Are you using an 03 turbo or later model? A 62 would be better for tow and sppol quick. A 64 will spool good and have great mid and top potential. Stock sticks will work on both. But really, look at turbo engineering, their lightning stage I and II...... they can also add a upgraded bearing and the new upgraded vgt solinoid to stop the sticking veins.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The 64 will be bad with stock sticks. You will have a hard time finding something that works better with stock sticks than the factory turbo. I run a 64 with alot of fuel and it still has way more lag than stock.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
look at turbo engineering out of red bluff california. They do the same thing. Are you using an 03 turbo or later model? A 62 would be better for tow and sppol quick. A 64 will spool good and have great mid and top potential. Stock sticks will work on both. But really, look at turbo engineering, their lightning stage I and II...... they can also add a upgraded bearing and the new upgraded vgt solinoid to stop the sticking veins.
I looked at their turbos....I was trying to find someplace in Canada that did the same modifications, mainly to avoid paying duty and exchange.
This company was also recomended by NADP, thats where they get all their turbo rebuilds done.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 64 will be bad with stock sticks. You will have a hard time finding something that works better with stock sticks than the factory turbo. I run a 64 with alot of fuel and it still has way more lag than stock.
yeah I have decided to go with a II stage 1 from another member up here in Canada instead.
I think it should work well with my mods.

·
Registered
260 Posts
yeah I have decided to go with a II stage 1 from another member up here in Canada instead.
I think it should work well with my mods.
Good choice. I messed around with one of my old turbos (VGT-40 64mm) and stock sticks and it sucked.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A stage I will be good for your set up

1 - 11 of 11 Posts