Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, another tire thread! I'll spare the "what's the best tire" question for a better time, but for now how much PSI do you guys run in your tires? I check my pressure at least every other week, and if we get a temp spike.

Anyway, my door sticker says 65 but I'm currently running 70 PSI. I noticed that both sides on the front tires are starting to cup, while leaving the center perfectly warn. I'm assuming this is an alignment issue as the rears are just fine, but I noticed that the tire I was looking at (front passenger) didn't seem like the tread was flat, it looked like the tire was bowed. I put a piece of wood on top and sure enough, the center has a flat contact surface where the sides don't. With just 5 PSI over should they be bowed this much?

These are 275/70R18 Toyo H/T, load range E if anyone is wandering. They are brand new, put on a couple months ago.

·
Registered
699 Posts
how many miles on these tires?
In my experience range E tires are not heavy enough for the nose of a diesel. The tire compound is too soft and you get choppy tires. Almost every truck we own has done that to atleast one set of tires in its life. Rotations every 5k. or run a harder tire.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have probably close to 1k miles on these tires.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
On my 2006 F350 dually crew cab I run 60 in the front all the time and 45 in the rears when empty. I took a white tire marker and drew a line across the rears. I drove around the block and let a little air out at a time until the mark went away. I get even wear across the tread on the rear tires. When I haul a load or pull a heavy trailer I air them back up to the 60 psi thats on the door sticker.

Reactions: Red Ford

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Wow! I have an '05 DRW and I run 70 up front and 60 in the rears. I have about 30K miles on a set of Michelin LTX A/T2 . It's a real juggling trick trying to figure out the rotation with the Alcoa rims. Rotation and balancing can wind up costing over $100.00. Running the BFG Long Trail's I got into the habit of buying 4 tires at a time, 2 tires from each set of 6 ran over 100K. I'm hoping to do better with 6 Michelin's in the rotation instead of 4.

k

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like when I get home I'll have to snap a chalk line on the tires. I also just bought a set of brand used tires, 2 of them have slightly more tread than the other 2, do the ones with more tread go in front or in back?

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Looks like when I get home I'll have to snap a chalk line on the tires. I also just bought a set of brand used tires, 2 of them have slightly more tread than the other 2, do the ones with more tread go in front or in back?
How much tread do they have? If the ones that have less tread are almost gone put the better ones up front, If they all have decent tread you can put them where you want.

·
Registered
280 Posts
50 F&R when not towing.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,729 Posts
I run 50 all around on a 65psi tire. No wear issues and have about 15K miles on them. The door sticker is only good for stock tires.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I run 65-70psi (80psi 285/65r20) on all 4s empty or light to moderate towing but I'm a bit heavier than most of you.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tires have about 9/32 left on them.

On my F-150 I always ran 40 PSI in the 10 ply tires and never had wear issues, when I get back home in a week I'll try bumping it down to 50 and putting chalk on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts