Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been looking at lift kits for my 02' 350 for a while now and I am stuck at a crossroads on which setup to get in terms of looks and durability. I can't decide to go with a 6" lift on 37's or a 4" lift on 35's. I really like the look of the 6 on 37's but heard from a buddy he had the same setup and said that it cost him to go through 2.5 transmissions and recommended I stay safe with the 4" lift on 35's.

Anybody out there have personal experience or any knowledge of what he was talking about? I don't drive like a jackass, and occasionally tow my 21' ski boat and use dirt roads during summer. Also considering doing a sled pull once or twice. Any help and input is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
the transmissions would have been fine had he regeared the rear end. go with what size you think you would love the most. as far as durability and quality there is several options to choose from. whats your budget? what wheels are you going to run?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He would have had to re gear even with the truck being geared so low to begin with? Is that something I should do as well? Not really set on a budget but not looking to spend too much (don't wanna spend more than 2k on a lift, lookin at pro comp lifts) I'm thinking of running 17-18" wheels. Not totally against 20's but not crazy about them.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
what gears are you?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything is factory right now not sure what gears those are stock. Axle code is D1. 3.73 limited slip?

·
Registered
883 Posts
u should do fine with 6" on 37's

i had that on my obs, now have 40's no tranny problems what so ever

have a 8" with 40's on my 05 with no problems either

didnt regear anything on the obs though

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh well that's good to know, you running a tuner in either of your vehicles? I will eventually have one and assume that'll change my shift points or wear on the tranny.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Oh well that's good to know, you running a tuner in either of your vehicles? I will eventually have one and assume that'll change my shift points or wear on the tranny.
i have a super-chips in my 7.3, dont have money for a better one, depending on the setting, yes it makes some of the gears taller and shorter, no wear or tear on the tranny at all

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's great to know thank you. I was really wanting to go with a 6" lift till I heard about the possible tranny problems. But now that I'm hearing otherwise I'm glad I won't have those problems.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That's great to know thank you. I was really wanting to go with a 6" lift till I heard about the possible tranny problems. But now that I'm hearing otherwise I'm glad I won't have those problems.
you shouldent, i dont know what your friend was doing to go through two tyrannys, iv had my e40d for years with no problems, same with the 05, none what so ever,even when towing

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just found out he was jumping his truck at pismo dunes hahaha I definitely won't be doing that. Like I said just DD/boat towing/light off road use and maybe one or two sled pulls

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I will probably re gear up to 4:88's anyway to keep it as close to factory gearing as possible so it's not overworking itself. I appreciate all the help guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts