Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upgrading my transmission to hold 650 HP km sure a lot of u guys have already done this step so throw some pointers my way I just got a quote for 3300$ is that reasonable that's taken out and installed too? Thanks for anyone help advice ..also someone told me to just by a used built tranny?..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Who quoted you that price?

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Seems like a good price. What is getting done to it and what parts are getting used? That's about what I have in mine.

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Call Andy warren at warren diesel. They're in PA. He builds what I would say is hands down the best trans for the money. More clutches ad more holding power, but in order to fit more clutches in there, lots of kits (suncoast, patc) use thinner steels to accommodate more clutches...thinner steels don't take heat as well ad the standard thickness steels. Andy warren among others (BTS, twisted diesel, john woods) cut down the piston to achieve more room for more clutches. You'll need a good converter too...don't buy a patc. Innate mine and will be pulling it out in favor of a PI converter. Andy mentioned that the stock intermediate shaft holds up to around 700 rwhp or so...I plan on being around 600 but I figured it was good insurance. I would definitely get a billet input shaft.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Call Andy warren at warren diesel. They're in PA. He builds what I would say is hands down the best trans for the money. More clutches ad more holding power, but in order to fit more clutches in there, lots of kits (suncoast, patc) use thinner steels to accommodate more clutches...thinner steels don't take heat as well ad the standard thickness steels. Andy warren among others (BTS, twisted diesel, john woods) cut down the piston to achieve more room for more clutches. You'll need a good converter too...don't buy a patc. Innate mine and will be pulling it out in favor of a PI converter. Andy mentioned that the stock intermediate shaft holds up to around 700 rwhp or so...I plan on being around 600 but I figured it was good insurance. I would definitely get a billet input shaft.
I agree, Andy has the best trans around for the price. Mine has held up fine since I've had it and I've abused it.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
I've heard of guys who bought the Suncoast kit and couldn't fit all the clutches in the direct drive drum. The reason for this is because the OEM drums have VERY poor quality control when they were built so basically any tranny builder than knows what their doing will hand fit each DD drum.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info its , Shore transmissions... Eastern shore MD he said that's for the works.. shift kit, driveshaft etc
I really want to know if there's stuff I Dont really need upgraded or if I should upgrade everything ..

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
...Shore transmissions... Eastern shore MD he said that's for the works.. shift kit, driveshaft etc...
I'd be looking somewhere else... Especially with things like "drive shaft"... Any place that says things like "the works", I'd be out. JMO here. Granted I get it that most folks don't know enough to even ask the right questions, but I can say that from my undertaking with my tranny, I have learned what's what. Things I would ask about would be like, are new bushings installed EVERYWHERE?? What's done for to allow the extra clutches to actually fit?? How many clutches are there in each section of the transmission?? Is this more than stock?? What is their opinion on billet parts and why?? Stuff like that. I'm just giving examples. I'm sure others have equally important questions that should be asked as well. Either way, I know the reputable shops mentioned will be able to answer these questions.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
subscribing , might need to be asking some of these questions soon

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm with Gearhead and Nate on this. Sounds like that shop might be just giving you a rebuilt STOCK transmission. If he quoted you $3300, then why not go on with the comp trans from Warren for $3800 and you KNOW what you got. No questions on if it will hold up or not.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
Ask Adrian about his "the works" transmission that he had. He was quoted an UNBELIEVEABLY good price and ended up having to steal it back from that shop, take it to another shop to finish it. It didn't hold up or do well and ended up taking it to Andy Warren. Who's got time for that BULL SH!T?? I know I sure don't...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts