Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good after market radio that can filter out electrical noise and get better reception than the stock Ford radio. I have a 2001 SD and the radio reception can't compare with my old HONDA Accord or my new Hyundai.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well just about any decent aftermarket stereo is going to be a huge improvement over the stock stereo. If you tell us what features are important to you, we can direct you accordingly.
As far as radio reception.. to the best of my knowledge changing head units isn't supposed to change radio reception, however it seems like it occasionally does. It doesn't seem like there's a way to determine which head units will achieve greater reception or worse.
However, many of the newer stereos come equipped with HD (Hybrid Digital) radio which is a blend of analog and digital signals. Because much of the signal is digital, the hiss, fuzz, and crackle of traditional radio is obsolete. The HD radio is a free service and also offers many extra channels.

I will say that my 99' SD got excellent radio reception, even better than my '11 nissan, prior to switching to aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you feedback. I just wanted better reception. It seems like there is a lot of electrical noise. Maybe there is an add-on filter I could installed but this is an area in which I have no knowledge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gotcha. I'm not an expert in the subject but i think it's possible there could be a bad ground. I think sometimes this can be a problem with antennas when they go bad. they do make filters for it but it would be wise to find the problem first. do you know if previous owners ever installed aftermarket stereo components?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts