Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to truck fest a couple days ago and asked some questions. i have a 99 ford f250 single wheel 4x4, it has a 61/2" lift with 37" super swampers. this truck still has the original gears (3:55), one of the guys i talked to at truck fest worked for a gear company and told me i needed to go to 4:88 gear ratio with the tires other wise i am going to kill my tranny. the other guy was a friend of mine that work for 4wheelparts said deisels dont need gears and its a waste of money and to just go with a tranny cooler. what should i do?

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
with a diesel 4.30's are what you want with 37's porbly would help a ton with milage and power. as far as your tranny goes allot of guys dont regear their diesels after putting bigger tires on them and their trannys seem to hold up just fine.

·
Registered
601 Posts
no question it puts more stress on the trans. when it is empty at a green light it might be egaul to trying to get a 1,000lb trailer rolling too. if you tow alot or pull anything heavy i would definitly regear but if it is used mainly as a DD then i would think you are ok. i have to agree that 4:30s sound pretty good, not 4.88s

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
4:88's are to steep for 37" IMHO but you do want something different, you are stressing your trans no doubt about it, not to mention killing your mpg. I would listen to the guys at Randy's they haven't steered me wrong yet.
NCH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts