Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had the 4" exhaust done on my new toy! Now I need to know where I can get a downpipe and can the factory flat crap!:dunno:

Any ideas??? Can DP from a 1st. gen stroker be modified to work?

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
If you have the flattened downpipe, then you have the exhaust housing that goes with it. You can buy the turbo upgrade kit from ATS, comes with a 3" downpipe, and better exhaust housing. Runs around $800, a little on the spendy side. Or you can go to a muffler shop, and have them bend you up one. You cant use one from an OBS.

·
Registered
959 Posts
choctaw I don't think that will work. That's for the '94-'97 Powerstrokes not the IDIs.

Personally I'd stay away from ATS. After dealing with them in the past and talking to others who have dealt with them they aren't a very good company to deal with. I'd give Hypermax a call and see what they can do for you.

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
choctaw I don't think that will work. That's for the '94-'97 Powerstrokes not the IDIs.

Personally I'd stay away from ATS. After dealing with them in the past and talking to others who have dealt with them they aren't a very good company to deal with. I'd give Hypermax a call and see what they can do for you.
Oops my bad, you are correct sir.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts

I'll give you that, since they got new managment there customer service is lacking. But the factory turbo's where ATS's, and if you want to upgrade it, the only place to get that is through ATS. You can upgrade the ATS turbo for $800, or buy a new hypermax kit for $1500+. Hypermax turbo's use a different downpipe design, and the turbo is in a different place, so they wouldnt work on the ATS design.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm not even talking about their customer service but the way they do business in general with their suppliers etc. as well.

That does suck if they are the only place to get a new down pipe from and it costs $800! If their turbo is the stock turbo and they change enough to have to buy $800 worth of parts just to put a down pipe on tells me they are shady and just trying to rape those with these trucks to begin with.

How much of a demand is there for aftermarket down pipes for these? Is the stock down pipe flat like the stock '94-'97 Powerstroke down pipe?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm not even talking about their customer service but the way they do business in general with their suppliers etc. as well.

That does suck if they are the only place to get a new down pipe from and it costs $800! If their turbo is the stock turbo and they change enough to have to buy $800 worth of parts just to put a down pipe on tells me they are shady and just trying to rape those with these trucks to begin with.

How much of a demand is there for aftermarket down pipes for these? Is the stock down pipe flat like the stock '94-'97 Powerstroke down pipe?
Yeah its about as flat as an stock OBS downpipe. I would agree $800 is steep, but its the downpipe, and a exhaust housing. I dont really know if its worth it or not though, I heard it drops EGT's 150*+

·
Registered
959 Posts
It just seems rediculous to me to have the housing be mandatory to replace. Is it a wastegated housing? For that much I surely hope so being I can sell the '94-'97 turbine housings for $150 and a down pipe for $130.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It just seems rediculous to me to have the housing be mandatory to replace. Is it a wastegated housing? For that much I surely hope so being I can sell the '94-'97 turbine housings for $150 and a down pipe for $130.
Yeah the factory ATS turbo's are wastegated. The stock housing you have to clamp down the downpipe with a V clamp I believe. The upgraded housing has a slip fit downpipe fitting (the aftermarket ATS turbo's have the slip fit as well, thats what mine is). I do agree though, its overpriced. I dont think there is all that big of a demand, so they charge more to compensate for that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
bump...Im also interested in finding a down pipe and where did you get your 4 inch exhaust. Or do you think it is possible to buy a dual exhaust kit for a powerstroke and make it work on the idi

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 7.3L IDI but the one I'm looking at doesn't have a turbo on it. If I get a turbo for it, especially if I find a factory turbo for it I might see if I can come up with a down pipe for it and see if I can have a few made. That's why I was asking about the demand for it.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'm looking at buying a 7.3L IDI but the one I'm looking at doesn't have a turbo on it. If I get a turbo for it, especially if I find a factory turbo for it I might see if I can come up with a down pipe for it and see if I can have a few made. That's why I was asking about the demand for it.
Thats a good idea.

bump...Im also interested in finding a down pipe and where did you get your 4 inch exhaust. Or do you think it is possible to buy a dual exhaust kit for a powerstroke and make it work on the idi
For the 92-94 IDI's you can use a kit for a 94-97 powerstroke. You wont be able to use the downpipe for it. It will fit the same, use the same hangers ect...but you might have to modify where the downpipe comes into it (dont know if the IDI downpipe and powerstroke downpipe exit in them same place).

I made my 4" exhaust myself, spent around $120 on it. I'm going to get a 5" chrome tip though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah i know the downpipe is different on our trucks but maybe if i welded it straight to the downpipe or made something so it would bolt onto it?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I bought a 3'' down pipe for my '94 IDI turbo from Banks for around $100. It worked fine, had to expand the firewall a little (easy) then connected up my 3 1/2'' exhaust to it. My EGT's went down probably 150 degrees. Just call Banks, end of story.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I bought a 3'' down pipe for my '94 IDI turbo from Banks for around $100. It worked fine, had to expand the firewall a little (easy) then connected up my 3 1/2'' exhaust to it. My EGT's went down probably 150 degrees. Just call Banks, end of story.
The guy who originally asked I think had a ATS setup. The banks and ATS setups have the turbo's in different places...and possibly use different exhaust sytle housings (v-clamp or just slip fit). This would led me to believe that a banks downpipe wouldnt fit on a ATS equiped rig.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The guy who originally asked I think had a ATS setup. The banks and ATS setups have the turbo's in different places...and possibly use different exhaust sytle housings (v-clamp or just slip fit). This would led me to believe that a banks downpipe wouldnt fit on a ATS equiped rig.
The factory turbo was actually and ATS, and Banks does make a downpipe for this turbo, I bought one and I installed it myself last Dec.. It used the original clamp and was pyrometer ready. It was not the down pipe they put on their own turbos, but one they made for the factory turbo. Call Banks, there was talk they were going to quit selling the IDI turbo stuff so it may be too late, all I know is I have one and it went on beautifuly and my truck will run with almost anything and it has 299,300 miles on it. I have tuned it exactly where I want it and I am running a hydrogen set-up on it too and I can run right with my Dads '06 6.0 pulling and equal load!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts