Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck: 2001 Ford 7.3 powerstroke engine
Problem:Truck will run ,but has a seriouse loss of power around 20MPH. After the engine loses power (bogs down), it has a spurt of power only to lose it again a few seconds later, back and forth. This started all the sudden, no warning lights of any kind, and has good oil pressure.
Remedies: So Far I changed the CPS and fuel filter. Anyone have advise:dunno:

Do 7.3 have just one fuel pump, or is there a fuel pump and injection pump?
This has my eyes going in circles:crazy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have another question, what are the symptoms for a fuel pump going out? Do they just go out, or do they perform half way where the truck will run, but run bad, anyone had a fuel pump go out?

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Well, i had close to the same happen. but my truck completly boged down, turned out to be the computer going, it started shutting off things like the fuel pump and what not. but i could see the fuel pump slowly going out and getting worse.. it does it in gas engines. there is just one fuel pump, under the drivers door on the rail. pretty easy change. not to bad on the wallet too

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
7.3L powerstroke diesels do not have an injection pump. They have a fuel supply pump on the framerail as described. Then it uses the High Pressure Oil Pump to fire the injectors.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
sounds like a fuel pump to me , i would want to pull codes to see what was there , and if your looking at the oil pressure gauge on the dash , thats just base engine oil pressure , could still have erratic high pressure oil and not run right also

1 - 5 of 5 Posts