Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, about a month ago I was involved in an accident which just about messed up every body part in my front end and my cooling system. It about $7500 worth of damage in just body work alone. What happened was that I was at a light and when it turned green I started cruising out and when I'm halfway through the intersection, a car decided to run the red light and pops out right in front of me. I had absolutely no time to stop at all. Once I saw him, he was right in front of me and it was too late. The cops put him at fault but he didn't have insurance so I have to sue him, and the maximum for small claims court is $5000, so even if I get money it won't be enough to cover all the damages. But it'll be better than nothing, so I'm trying to get ready for the court hearing.

Now I'm just trying to get some numbers, which might be useful in the case. Here's what I need, if you guys could just take maybe 10 minutes out of your day to test these for me, you would really be helping me out and I would really appreciate it.

75 feet
Acceleration (normal cruising like 1/4 throttle, 1/2 throttle, full throttle): 0-?mph
Time: sec

Once you find the mph you can get to in 75 feet, I need braking numbers.
? mph-0 mph
Time: secs
Distance: feet

Thanks again in advance for any one who take the time to find do this for me. You'll really be helping me out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I estimate that I was going between 10-20 mph when the crash occurred. I was cruising out of the light. However, I really wasn't looking at my speedometer at the moment so I don't really know for sure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, please state you year, engine, mods, cab, and bed. I would prefer a similar set up to mine, but I'm sure numbers won't vary too much with slight deviations. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
So I take it you don't have collision or UMPD coverage on your policy?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Your insurance company wont battle for you? I had a similar experience and USAA battled for me in arbitration. We won and i got a powerstroke to replace my half ton chevy :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yeah, none of this makes sense to me... if the police found him AT FAULT, you don't need these numbers, which are going to be made up/about/ish anyways.

Are you going on Judge Judy? :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. I have the most basic PIP. Police found him at fault. He doesn't have insurance, and my insurance doesn't cover any damages for me. I really don't need these numbers, but I would like to know about what speed the collision occurred. And no, my insurance doesn't want to do S--- for me. They are not going to spend money on litigation for me, since I have the basic PIP. Only things they cover is damage to another vehicle if I am at fault, or I believe my medical bills if I am injured.

We called a bunch of lawyers and even the Florida Bar Association, no lawyer will cover a basic personal property case for $8k of damage, because they aren't going to get much money out of it. They only do cases against insurance companies or for personal injury.

Honestly, it's a really messed up situation I'm in and I haven't had a car for a like a month. I would love for this to be made up. If you have any questions, ask me. I'll answer honestly.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
You never mentioned that you only had liability insurance... Now it makes sense

·
Premium Member
4,670 Posts
A few words of advice.....

1. Carry more insurance than you think you need (auto, house, and life). You probably are thinking about this already

2. Forget about these acceleration and braking numbers. First thing that will be asked is if they're for YOUR vehicle and how they were obtained. The fact the other driver was cited will be sufficient, but you will want to get a copy of the accident report.

3. Even if you win in small claims court, there's no guarantee that the other party will pay you. May want to consider your chances of recovering money before moving forward with a case so you don't waste your time and money.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
^^ What he said. If the guy didn't pay for insurance, there's a good likelihood he won't have money to pay you any judgment. The judgement will be against him, but the court can't make him print money. Going to court will cost you some money, court fees at the minimum.

It is a ****ty spot to be in. You my want to start looking through junkyards to piece the truck back together. I know it's not the fix you are wanting, but it's the hand you were dealt. If your frame is good and it's only body damage, the junk yard is your best bet. You can try Certi-fit and deal with the sorta-fit of their parts as well. The parts are reasonable, new, and fit close enough to make work. I've had to do a little bit of drilling and welding with their parts, but others have had good luck with them.

Get full coverage insurance on your truck, and this won't be an issue in the future. It costs a little bit more, but it pays for itself should this ever happen again. Be sure your policy covers uninsured drivers (that varies by State whether it's automatically included or not).

Chalk this up to a lesson learned and press on. It really really sucks, but you survived and the truck is fixable.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Just got a call from the serving officer today. Says he went to address on his license and a lady there said he didn't live there, and hadn't lived there. Can't serve the papers until I find out where he is. I honestly don't think I'll get any money. My dad has a friend who is a cop and helped us get the accident report and everything, said if we sued and won they could do something where his license is suspended until he pays off what he owes or something like that.

And yeah, my dad set up the insurance policy. Truth is I worked a minimum wage job and really couldn't afford full coverage. But yeah, I ship off next month and so I'm leaving my dad my truck, and my next vehicle will definitely have full coverage. Don't know what will happen with this truck though. I told my dad about buying a truck with a blown engine and downing a swap. I believe some frame work was required to repair this truck and it had damage on the bed and cab from a previous incident, so I think buying the other truck for $2000 and doing an engine and tranny swap would be the smart alternative. I could probably sell this messed up body to a junk yard for and get some cash for it. Well, thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts