Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turbo is going out in my 06, I have 310k miles on it, it's OEM. Truck was studded, deleted, tuned, new oil cooler, new radiator, egr removed, the works, back at 170k, My question is, do I go back with an aftermarket turbo or a stock one, and do I just get one from O'Reilly's or from another source, also, should I replace the HPOP while the turbo is off. The truck is my daily driver, and I like the power it has. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Welcome to the org!

For the turbo, Personally motorcraft oem. I would not advise an aftermarket one at this point unless you want to dump extra money into larger injectors/ tuner and custom tuning to make use of an aftermarket turbo fully. Also the reason most will recommend sticking with oem motorcraft is the motto buy once cry once. Many diesel owners tried to save $50 and got junk parts from local stores and had do the job again sooner then later.

As for the HPOP its hard to say with out posting some sensor readings. At 310k its def. worn but may not be enough to justify the labor/parts. You'll want to find a monitor to post up the ICP and IPR reading at idle and driving, and during a wide open throttle run to see the max psi the hpop puts out currently before spending the money.

There are some great vendors with usually even better pricing for parts. I have used Corey from CNCFAB llc, riffraff diesel, and dieselorings since as far back as I could remember. I like to buy local but our local dealer is beyond $$$ parts wise so just haven't wanted to burn my wallet.

Reactions: 066

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts

Assuming you're on stock injectors, a KC Turbos Stage 1 from KC Turbos or CNCfab is a good choice. They're a little more expensive than an OEM though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You will love a KC turbo. It was the best thing I bought for my 6.0. Even though I didn't fully get to utilize it I went with the Stage 2 so I had room for upgraded fuel later down the road if I felt like it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for KC.

Either buy a stage 1 or rebuild your current turbo. New unison ring for sure and balanced assembly.

or go OEM

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
What makes you think your turbo is going out?

Asking for a friend... :D LOL

-jokester

Reactions: Spirit

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
We’ve about come full circle here...

Reactions: jokester00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sissy for the late response brother, I think it's the turbo, but not certain, it's not developing boost like it should, it won't put out good until it's wide open, and then it's real hesitant and jumpy, the whole truck feels sluggish, and it's whining louder than normal, even at low boost, and it's smoking more out the exhaust at idle, exhaust is strong, and it's losing a little more oil than normal, exhaust tip is staying smutted up, from all that, and with 310k, I had just assumed it was the turbo, it cranks and runs great, just a little weak, and it's always been strong as hell

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have not checked fuel pressure, boost is a not as high as normal, and truck is sluggish at any rpm, it will sure at wide open throttle, it runs great unless you are calling on it, just feels like a pig, I have also noticed my exhaust pipe tip is smutted up pretty bad and the exhaust smell is stronger than normal, and my tooth is whining louder than normal at any rpm, and it's losing a little more oil than normal, I can only assume out the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
A lot of things can cause boost to be not as high as normal from a bad MAP hose to the unison ring in the turbo being held in one place by carbon. I'd replace a turbo if it had excessive side to side or back and forth play in the turbine wheel. Some might rebuild it for that. I would definitely not want a replacement from a parts store, so the best value would be a Garret OEM.

To check the turbo being stuck, monitor VGT and anything approaching 85% or 15% is bad.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I guess I need to scan it and eliminate a few things, and tear into it and see what's up. Thanks for the replies
Might be just as simple as one of these (below) and a good clean up on the exhaust side...

-jokester

1 - 18 of 18 Posts