Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck seems to be hesitant from a stop or low speeds when you open it up. Feels like really bad turbo lag. If you put it to the floor from a stop, it seems to take quite awhile (5 seconds maybe) before it takes off. I mean it is really sluggish, like barely moving. Then the boost seems to kick in, chirp the tires and off we go just fine.

I'm wondering if a local member who knows more than I do (which is very little) about the 6.0s could take a ride or drive my truck and see if this normal or not. The truck is out of warranty in 200ish miles...so would to do this pretty soon.

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
My truck seems to be hesitant from a stop or low speeds when you open it up. Feels like really bad turbo lag. If you put it to the floor from a stop, it seems to take quite awhile (5 seconds maybe) before it takes off. I mean it is really sluggish, like barely moving. Then the boost seems to kick in, chirp the tires and off we go just fine.

I'm wondering if a local member who knows more than I do (which is very little) about the 6.0s could take a ride or drive my truck and see if this normal or not. The truck is out of warranty in 200ish miles...so would to do this pretty soon.

Thanks for any help
We've got a lot of great members in Texas!!!:nod: I'm sure one of them can give you a hand.:thumb:

·
Infidel
5,166 Posts
PM Dirk. He is very knowledgeable and might be able to help you out.
Craig

·
Registered
659 Posts
the 6.0 litre has a real bad turbo lag every one i have ever seen.did it always do this or is it new.i know most 6.0 if you was to stick a 2by4 under the front wheel it almost would not move from a start so they had real bad lag that is why the new 6.4 has twin turbo set up to prevent that as much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has done it since I owned it. Just haven't driven many 6.0s under full throttle. Trying to make sure it is normal before warranty is out

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
i mean the thing almost wont move until the turbo spooled it has no low end power without the turbo its not science.and i can assure you it is normal.

·
Registered
659 Posts
they have lots of power just not until the turbo spools for instance i took mine and put it in a gravel lot just to be funny thought i would try to spin all four in 4 wheel drive i almost ran out of gravel before the tires would even think about spinning.now my 7.3 you can do the same thing and it will spin almost right now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
this is with a auto of course

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
they have lots of power just not until the turbo spools for instance i took mine and put it in a gravel lot just to be funny thought i would try to spin all four in 4 wheel drive i almost ran out of gravel before the tires would even think about spinning.now my 7.3 you can do the same thing and it will spin almost right now.
Not sure what is wrong with your 6.0 but I get maybe 1.5-2 seconds of turbo lag before I can break the tires loose. On gravel, in less than 5 feet and in 4wheel drive.

to answer Harley's question, pm me a way to contact you and we can hook up. I am in Arlington

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like VGT or turbo issue to me. That's what mine is doing. We'll soon know if that was the problem....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys, haven't been on the forum in awhile...I'm fixing to run our to my truck and pull codes from it.

Is anybody free this weekend to help me out?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay here is what i have so far...

Dirk thinks it could be the turbo cooked with soot or the VGt solenoid. Scuffy828 thought maybe the VGT.

I pulled the following trouble codes...U0420, U0423, and U0407. They are all Invalid Data from the following control modules, power steering, instrument panel, and glow plug. Any ideas?

How hard is it to pull the turbo and clean it? Any helpers? I have plenty of tools and a compressor at the house...

Thanks for you guys help!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts