Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..
I'm looking to upgrade to my new injectors very soon.. my signature tells the story. My question is.. what do I need to do next? My motor tranny and other parts are in good working order.. but I want my truck to run safely first and foremost.. but also push more power. I know that things will most likely break after I install these injectors but I'd like to take care of them before they go bad. I need to know what other upgrades I need, in order of importance.. and also what I should watch for(besides high egts) to make sure nothing breaks.. and also what will most likely break... thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
if your going with stage 2 sticks you will need an upgraded hpop most people go with a terminator t500 pump

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a new hpop is the first thing I need to do? What will happen if I run my stock hpop for a little while?

·
Registered
460 Posts
turbo first....(D-66 will bolt on) then IC, then HPOP, then e-fuel, and with Stage II's, you will need studs and springs......

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Studs and springs w/ stage II's? I've never heard of that as a prerequisite.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Auto tranny? If so, definitely upgrade the cooler. I just installed a Tru Cool 4921 last weekend. There is no comparison and the install was pretty easy, just time consuming (though I flushed the tranny too).

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
1st... b4 u do anything... u NEED gauges, and prolly go ahead and install a large transmission cooler.

2nd... check ure fuel pressure at WOT, it will prolly be below specs (anything below 50psi) which means u should bo e-fuel. The reason i say that is once u open up the flow ure fuel pump wont be able to keep up. Every time ure fuel pressure drops when u get on the skinny peddle u will be slowly destroying your injectors that u just spent so much on and save up for...

3rd...go ahead and install injectors and check out under valve cove harness and glow plugs.. if u havent done the intercooler yet u will have to watch egts like a hawk and if u tow at all then i would recomend doing it first.

4th..... get ure chip and have them detune it untill u can afford a turbo so u dont blow it apart.

5th... upgrade ure HPOP... reason i say not to upgrade earlier is low HPOP pressure will not cause any damage, just low performance and bad fuel economy. Once upgraded u can reburn chip or leave it like it is untill u swap the turbo.

6th... upgrade turbo... d66 or if u wana go all out, t4 mount kit and an s366.

Ure trans will blow in there somewhere which at that time go ahead and either swap in a zf5 or build the trans.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've already got a zf5 so the tranny isn't a problem.. I have the gauges and they'll be installed at the same time as the injectors. My fuel pressure is above 50.. I just did the FPR shim and I'll have a fuel pressure gauge soon to go with the pyro and boost... which I will be watching pretty hard. The harnesses are getting replaced with the injectors as well. The chip will be here as soon as its burnt. And it's tuned for stock turbo fuel system and hpop. Until then I'll be running it soft. and I'll do the other upgrades as soon as the cash comes...

Ps. Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it a lot..

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
If you have a 5spd, a good clutch is needed

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has a near brand new oem clutch in it now...once it fails it gets a south bend

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Its not gonna take a whole lot to fail an oem clutch

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Even tho u shimmed the fpr and pressure looks good now... you will be doubbling the size of the injectors, i highly recoment e-fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i did e-fuel cause i got new injectors and glad i did, engine runs smoother and the thought of damaging my new injectors with low fuel pressure was unsettling. the PO installed a new 15* HPOP on my rig before i bought it and i have yet to set off any lights. i would go in order of what Ol_blue listed, seems the most logical to me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright.. So I'll check the fuel pressure after the injectors are installed.. If its sub par ill do e fuel..and take it from there with the other mods.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone mentioned to me before about running dual mechanical pumps.. Is that possible or worthwhile?

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
I belive they mentioned using dual SD electric pumps plumbed in parallel with eachother... dual mechanicals isnt possiable... you only have one hole in the block to install it in

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any idea how much that setup might run me?

·
Delivers Pizzas For Fun!
6,024 Posts
Most guys spend between 500 and 700 with a diy fuel system. All depends on how much u can get the pumps for. I belive a new bosch is like 125? Or go with a walbro for 100.... or 350 for an aeromotive a1000. Al depends on how much u want to spend and also dont forget about availabitly of the pumps when they fail. The sd pumps and sd replacement pumps can be had at just about any parts store.

·
Registered
460 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Outlaw, what does your setup consist of with that pump? Did you put your own regulator on, fuel bowl delete, etc? I'm new to this stuff still and Id appreciate if you could be detailed about how you ran your system.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts