Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who is making Napa's Diesel 15-40? I use their regular 5-30 and it seems to look/smell like Valvoline.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Debating doing the same. Meets specs, and it has a cheaper price tag. I need to start saving money all over the place. I drive 8,000 miles on my work truck per Oil change and I run napa gold oil filters (wix) and 50-30 Napa dino oil. It runs great. ya really have to wonder how different all the 15-40 Dinos are... I've yet to lose an engine to "cheap" oil. But I sure have lost a wallet or more on over paying for stuff, or can see why cheap filters really stink.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I haved NAPA oil for a long time and have had NO problems at all. I run the napa oil filter too. I change my oil and filter every 2500 miles. I also use the NAPA fuel filter and still no problems. I have used both products for over 100,000 miles. I like to change my oil alot, and the oil is as clean when put in the truck as when I drain it out. Ford stated that with this practice with the oil changes I should get 500,000 miles out of this engine. 96 OBS F-350 Crew cab short box 4X4 5 speed 3 inch lift with 33x12.5 turbo back exhaust no cat or muffler, and is 4 inchs plus and intake

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd stretch the oil change intervals out a bit but... the saudi's don't like us that much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Amsoil.... with a bypass kit you can easily run 15K+ on 1 oil change... i have heard people going 20k+ and getting the oil checked and it still looks good
Not intending to hi-jack but....Can you get away with that on the 6.0? Seems there's alot of talk about shearing and the only way to avoid it is changing the oil more frequently. Don't know if that applies to synthetics, though.

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,306 Posts
I have looked at a TON of Used Oil Analyses. I have NEVER seen an oil hold 40 weight viscosity past 10,000 miles. Most are in the low 30 weight range at 7500 - too much to lose and not that much to gain. The 6.0L HPOP system shears oil severely.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have looked at a TON of Used Oil Analyses. I have NEVER seen an oil hold 40 weight viscosity past 10,000 miles. Most are in the low 30 weight range at 7500 - too much to lose and not that much to gain. The 6.0L HPOP system shears oil severely.
That was my understanding. It's just not worth the expense because the oil needs to be changed more often. I change mine at 4000 miles just to be safe.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I suspected that the HPOP system sheared the oil, but had never seen it confirmed. Do the 6.4s with the common rail have less shearing? I haven't seen any oil samples from one yet

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm leaning toward the more frequent changes. b/c with my truck... running dino 15-40 after 4k, the MPG's drop. I was running about 5k on castrol and MPG's were real bad. The longest lasting oil I've used has been the 5-40 Rotella. I ran almost 5k on it and MPG's barely dropped. But then again... that stuff is $16/gal. vs $10/gal rotella. So once your looking at 15-40's... whats really the difference between Napa oil and rotella, or any run of the mill dino 15-40. Kind of have to wonder if it's worth the extra money... that's why I'm looking into this Napa stuff.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,306 Posts
I suspected that the HPOP system sheared the oil, but had never seen it confirmed. Do the 6.4s with the common rail have less shearing? I haven't seen any oil samples from one yet
Good question Streak - I will have to do a little researching on this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts