Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm doing a big tow later this week and i want to make sure my egt's stay low i didn't want to dish out the 50 dollars for the zoodad i figured i'd make one myself and if im having any troubles just add more screening

well here it goes!

Step 1:
Remove the grill

unscrew these four screws

undo these clasps with a screw driver - its very easy

Step 2:
Start the Dremel! I made my hole about 2.5"x7" If i were to do it again i would make it about 6"x2.5"

Step 3:
Vacuum! The dust from dremeling gets everywhere, make sure to first vacuum inside the intake before the filter then wipe it down with a wet cloth

Step 4:
Make the steel frame -- i used a sheet of 8 gage steel i had left over from home depot. i started off by taking the piece of plastic that i previously cut out earlier and made a template, i from there added about a quarter inch on the sides and 3/4 inch on the top and bottom.

Step 5:
went out and got some very fine aluminum screen and some jb weld. here's the finished product

walah!

I'll take the truck for a run tomorrow and see how it affects my egts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
solid write up

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Looks great! Post up how big a drop you see in those EGT's for all those skeptics out there :D

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
good write up, you beat me to it!! let us know how it affects your EGT's.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey that looks good.

Has anyone out there had a problem after the zoodad mod? I'm thinking about it and just want to ask this before I do.

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took her our for a spin to fill her up and definitely did notice an egt decrease -- i only was averaging about 40 mph but i did notice a 30-50* temp difference and while moving throttle response does feel a bit better but that may be in my head. I'll take her out on the freeway later today and post my results

·
Registered
469 Posts
Great job Mike. I like the screen you made. Looks good. One thing I did while doing mine was take a hand towel (didn't tell the wife. hehe) and stuffed it in the intake while I did the cutting of the plastic. Kept it perfectly clean in there. And I wore a respirator. That plastic dust gets everywhere when the dremmel hits it. hehe I think I'm gonna make a screen like yours this weekend. Thanks for the idea bro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks good man. I see alot of people doing these mods and alot of theories about water issues. Have any of you had any water issues after doing this mod?

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
My experience - NOPE (I have a 7.3)

·
Registered
257 Posts
great job- i dont have a screen on mine and i havent even checked to see how many bugs or leaves have gotton in there the last 10000 miles

·
Rice Hunter
4,036 Posts
Great Post Bud!!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have an 05 and the support is different. There is a 1/2" wide slot about 4 in long. Well I was able to extend it to 1 1/2" wide X 8" long. This slot is dirrectly behind the left grill verticle bar. the inlet tube area is about 12SqIn and my slot is the same area. Should help.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
i used a 1inch an half hole saw, and a sawzal to make mine. I like the it to be perfictly round...Yeah I am not as good as you guys, I just blew the dust out with compresed air from the inside out.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
:ditto: got my air compressor out and started blowing it out the Zoodad :D

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
why not just buy a cone filter and take the air box off

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
what costs 50 bucks ?? i did my zoodad myself and it didn't cost me a dime. i dont have a screen on the front though, that's what i have an air filter for

1 - 20 of 41 Posts