Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright so some may have heard that my trannie is going out. but i am curious, how long might it last? any ideas? also it seems to be that every gear it slips especially if you get on it hard. then it will slam into a gear sometimes too? What might be the problem here? TC? anything i can do that might make it better. and yes the fluid level has been changed recently and it is full.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any tranny gooroos out there?

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
heres a bump for ya! sorry i dont have any info for ya.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone got any ideas?

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump... bump...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had an auto tranny start slippin and it lasted for 10,000 more miles but I know people whose tranny just grenaded with no warning, you never know.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump up for the night

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay also looking at john woods transmission just now. what are the thoughts on a stage 1 from him? for 3900 i am thinking this might be the best deal to get. i have intake, exhaust, and want a tony wildman chip. will this put me over the 400HP mark?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Without upgraded injectors and turbo you will never see 400.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats what i was hoping to here cause the stage 1 is only rated up to 400 hp

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The stage 1 trans is warrantied up to 400hp. I will handle a lot more, the only difference is a billet input shaft between the stage 1 and stage 2. Knowing you tow a hell of a lot, that trans will be awesome for you. The most I have seen out of a truck with stock injectors is 368hp, so you are safely under the 400hp mark.

I would call John and talk to him. It sounds like one of the snap rings let go and the clutches are floating.

When my snap rings let go it drove about the same way. When you drove it and the TC was locked up under a light load and I let up, it felt like the TC would unlock almost immediately. The when I stepped on it, it would lockup and slam the lockup. I drove me nuts for about three weeks when it completely let go and stuck in 2nd gear. No reverse or anything.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah thats the plan and since i am on the west coast it is john woods for me. Just need some time and cash.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well if the clutches are shot ours didnt last but about an hour lol but if it were me i would go with an ats trannie with the stage 3 lock down tc i have heard good things about them

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Price up that ATS and you will about croke, $5100 for the same trans that JW will make for $4400. Plus with good tuning who the heck needs the co-pilot? I am one that loves to play with the TC lockup and I don't need a controller. It is in my tuning and if I find my self in need I flip my $4 switch and it locks up on demand.

Then find out what their warranty is for drag racing and/or sled pulling. The part I like most is where they say in the ATS warranty that "the use of any other other than factory or ATS TCM/PCM programming will void the warranty"( Item #4, Page 2 under heading ATS automatic transmission). I would never put an ATS in a vehicle I own. Their warranty is crap. I know a dodge guy that lost his ATS in a sled pull last year and they told him SOL. That did it for me.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Brians Truck Shop don't care how you use it.
Ask John Wood if they use only
American made parts in there transmissions.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am pretty sure he makes all the parts for his transmissions.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well i guess i never got that far into the warrenty i guess sorry about that that was the only company i knew that made them

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Brians Truck Shop don't care how you use it.
Ask John Wood if they use only
American made parts in there transmissions.
John only uses US parts, I am sure of it. Some of Johns parts, like Brian, are made for him only or by him. As for Johns shop, it would be "ask John if he only uses American made parts", he is the only one who builds the transmissions. Just like Brian is the only one at BTS that builds the transmissions. Pick one of these two and go to it. I picked the one closer to where I lived and the only one that would return a phone call.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts