Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my steering wheel is off center. After an alighnment and everything checked , straight ahead is more like 10 or 11 o clock. Can I just pull the wheel off and recenter it? What are the procedures, how do i go about fixing this, thanks!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Have you had the steering box checked?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was out of town at a funeral and it was real bad so the place is really far away (4 hour drive), so you think it needs to be realigned, how do i check the steering box?

·
Registered
76 Posts
well they should have centered the steering wheel if they did the alignment properly.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have no idea, I had issues like that, they did an alignment and it didn't work out and they replaced the steering box and has been driving like a champ ever since.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you replace the steering box by yourself or do you need a shop to do it?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
You can replace the steering box yourself, I had the shop do it and it was a bit over $700 total.

·
Registered
68 Posts
no you don't need a steering box!!!! they farged up the alignment. after doing the camber/caster swing you are supposed to center and lock the wheel with a spring loaded setup. then you adjust toe to get the wheels pointing straight in line with the centered wheel. They f'ed up that part.
go to a good alilgnment shop and get it done or go back and complain. sounds like option 2 is not a good option though.
you might be able to pull the wheel and adjust it but typically you'd need a puller...not worth the effort. just have it aligned properly.

·
Addicted to Diesel
721 Posts
look at the front of the truck. on the bar that runs from the pitman arm to the passenger side tire there should be an adjustment point there. You loosen the two bolts then you can twist it. by doing this you will be adjusting the position of the steering wheel.

So easiest is point your tires straight ahead and then go back and forth doing this until the steering wheel is back to the correct position.

Then tighten everything back up.

maybe its different on yours but that is how i have adjusted mine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
yes you absoloutley can adjust the steering wheel that way but with one caveat. your assuming the alignment is good when adjusting just the wheel. considering that the alingment guy wasn't good enough to get the wheel straight and then didn't bother to test drive after the alignment to notice the wheel was crooked and then also considering the cost of tires...I'd have the alignment redone.
seriously I have not gotten the wheel straight on an alignment but the customer never got the vehicle back that way. I'd immediatley pull back on the rack and realign the vehicle. its a no brainer.
say the toe was out just a tad. you'll only know in a few thousand miles then the edges are worn out that you were wrong and now your buying new tires AND and alignment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts