Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My Solution for the EGR Problem.

35K views 51 replies 22 participants last post by  Treynolds08 
#1 · (Edited)
When I popped my head gaskets, I wanted to do something about the EGR to prevent this from happening again.

With the emission testing in mind. I decided that I wanted to keep the factory look. So that emission testers can not tell if your EGR system has been modified. Also the EGR valve has not been touch. No codes have been thrown out, even with a tuner. Also my tunes are not set up for egr disable.

To date, I've been running this system on my personal truck for almost a year with zero problems. This includes pulling a 11,500 lb. fifth over the passes in Washington state many times. My Egt's never went over 1200 degrees, and my engine coolant never went too hot while pulling on long steep passes (6+ percent grade). I'm not easy on my own equipment.

The welding procedure is tig, and the material is 304 Stainless Steel.

Metal

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Metal Auto part Brass

See less See more
#3 ·
subscribed, will check out when i get home

#4 ·
I'm reading some of the posts on here about the EGR problem. That people are willing to blow $400 to $900 (I just seen one for that price. :tard:). That just surprises me.

But hey, I didn't waste that much $ on mine. :hehe:

#8 · (Edited)
This wouldn't interfere with any tuner, chip, or otherise. In fact I run a tuner that the egr system is still functioning, I haven't thrown any codes at all. I'm running the exact same set up in my personal ride. It's pretty solid.

#7 ·
This approach blocks off the exhaust from the cooler, but leaves the EGR cooler in which the coolant still flows, correct?

#9 ·
That's correct.

I blocked off the up pipe as seen. Than I seal welded both ends of the cooler to prevent any coolant leaks into the intake or otherwise. I set it up this way to pass the smog inspectors in case if they decided to do a visual inspection. I know for a fact, that if they do an visual inspection and the EGR system is absent. They will fined you and make you reinstall the comlpete EGR system out of your pocket.

#12 ·
Thanks! :D

#13 ·
PM sent. :thumb:

#14 ·
I am looking to do this very thing, still no codes or problems? This looks like the exact fix for my truck if it is not throwing any codes.

#29 · (Edited)
I was re-reading the posts and forgot to answer this one.

The factory coolant system is rated to 10 to 12 PSI for normal and 16 PSI for alarm.

I pressure test to 60 PSI and check for leaks.

#16 ·
what about exhaust back presure when the egr valve opens its takes a certain percent of exhaust back presure away with it blocked and the valve open and no presure drop in exhaust. im not to sure how to explain it but your engine presure will be out of balance and either there will be a power loss or blown head gasket. egr opens, mainifold presure is looking for the increase back presure looking for decrease. the 6.0 is like a seesaw needs the same presures one both side to stay in balance. does your turbo boost fluctuate?

#17 ·
I'm not to sure how this would be any different than an EGR delete? If I block the up-pipe, egr cooler at both ends and leave the egr valve in place to complete the electrical loop. I need all the info anyone has on this cause I don't know.

#19 ·
I've been running this set up for sometime without any problems. Towing heavy (12,000 lbs. trailer) regularly for the last two years. All the materials used in this modified egr setup is 304 stainless steel, not carbon steel. Stainless steel is better at higher heat than the carbon.

#20 · (Edited)
Just got new pictures.

#21 ·
Pipewelder thanks for sharing, living in CA I was pondering a delete that I would have to take off and reinstall OEM every 2 years for smog, but this will work wonderfully

#22 ·
I would first try to see if you can pass the test with the delete in place with someone you can trust if that's possible. Because the all the "smog pieces" are in place that "looks" factory. Because people have pass the smog test with one in place.

#23 ·
I was actually thinking about just plugging the up pipe port into the egr cooler, that is basically the same thing your job does... but i have heard it can throw a code indicating "not enough flow to egr" ever heard anything like that?

#24 · (Edited)
Yeah you can do that. But the cooler can release coolant into your engine through the intake side, if the cooler is bad. This way you know for sure that it's done. No worrying about the "possibilty" of a cooler failure.

I've heard of a "low egr flow" code. But if you have a tuner, you can have that code overridden.

#33 ·
You have an email.

#35 ·
#37 · (Edited)
Wow, I just checked it out. It has the perfect name, crackpipe. :banging:

I wouldn't touch that with a 20 ft. pole. Nice welds by the way.............

#36 ·
Hey Jaster, I'll give you a call tomorrow. Plus I sent a email to your address.

#38 ·
Got some new pictures from another delete I just did.

#40 ·
Hey pizza1424, the last one I did was for a 2007. They're the same from 2003-2004 and then they changed the coolers from 2005-2007.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.