Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

581 - 598 of 598 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
i was thinking of putting a puddle light in the bottom of the mirrors and utilizing the memory wires for that. Anyone thought about this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've installed the 08+ mirrors on my truck and in the process of installing switches and wiring. Thought I read somewhere, maybe a different forum, about a template for the 08 style mirror switch, but can't seem to find the information now. I've been searching for a template to reduce the chances of over cutting the switch opening.

Has anyone found a template in the past?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used info from this thread when I did my mirrors.
Thanks, I'm using information from that thread as well. I don't have the 08 bezel to trace a switch pattern to cut in my bezel. I thought I read someone had made a switch template, but I'm not having any luck finding any templates if they exist.

Thanks again for the link to the thread.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to post an update to the installation of a '08 mirror switch in place of my '99 mirror switch. I looked for a template without success, but discovered a round circle works as a template. I measured the width of the '08 switch housing that sits below the bezel, best I remember it was 1 3/8". Cut the circle out of a piece of paper and then use it to choose the best placement over the existing cutout keeping the gaps in the bezel from the old switch equal distance to the circle. Mark around the circle and then cut the bezel. When I placed the '08 mirror switch into the enlarged hole, all gaps from the old switch are hidden by the mirror switch bezel.

Thanks for all the helpful information that made this project possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to post an update to my mirror upgrade. I purchased mirrors from 1A Auto for this upgrade and used information from this thread to complete the project. While purchasing parts for this project, I emailed 1A Auto about my mirror upgrade and adding additional mirror features not installed on my truck. At one time, I considered removing the connector from the 1A Auto mirror to ease the wiring, but was advised by 1A Auto not to remove the connector from the mirror to maintain my warranty. I didn't remove the connector or modify the 1A Auto mirrors and made a connector from the instructions here. After my mirrors were installed and wired, the passenger mirror folds slower than the driver side mirror. I contacted 1A Auto to inquire if this was normal operation. Instead of answering my question, 1A Auto keeps responding that my warranty is void since I added additional wiring to my truck although I made no modifications to the 1A Auto mirrors. When I wired the mirrors, everything worked as planned the first time, there were no wrong connections.

The main purpose of this update is to give others a heads up that 1A Auto is voiding the warranty if you add features such as fold, heat, turn signals, etc that was not originally installed on your vehicle. The 1A Auto description states some features may not work correctly if not originally installed on the vehicle not the warranty will be void.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey! i was reading over your guises diy type of installment and i was wondering how long the process took? im only asking cause im not very handy lol and dont want to take forever if i were to do it myself

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey! i was reading over your guises diy type of installment and i was wondering how long the process took? im only asking cause im not very handy lol and dont want to take forever if i were to do it myself

It took me a couple of days but I took my time. I also used the matching plugs for the 06 harness. I have plenty of extra matching plugs and pins. I could sell you the "plug kit" if you like. I would make sure you find the factory power folding relay. I also used the factory telescopic switch mounted on my dash. See previous posts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, today I did my power fold mirror conversion and telescoping. But the only thing I’m stuck with is that the functions are the opposite Any advice on how to fix this issue. For example if I want to move The mirror toward the left of goes to the right and if I want to fold em I’ll have to push up on the knob instead of of down like it goes

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
I don't mean to :hijack: this thread , but I finally got around to installing my 08+ Trailridge mirrors from 1Aauto. I LOVE the mirrors. The visibility has improved tremendously and I love the blind spot mirror. Simply said, there isn't a blind spot anymore. Installing the mirrors took less than one hour.

I ordered the power folding mirrors so that I wouldn't have to get out to fold the mirrors every time I park in the garage (winter time) and this is where it becomes very interesting. I ordered a new mirror switch to include the PF option. I ordered the other parts as per @Dante04SRT sticky. The new mirrors come with added pigtails for the PF options everything else is pretty much plug and play.
The PF wiring requires me passing wires from the door to the cab (sticky does that too) but for the life of me, I cannot do that through the door boot. the wiring harness there ends up in a square plug (electronic) and I'm not willing to drill a hole anywhere close to that.

So I am reaching out to anyone who's done this conversion? How in the :censored: did you pass the wires through? I am also a bit miffed as to @Dante04SRT install as I feel there's missing info. Maybe it's just me.
Also where does the power folding module plug into (see sticky)?

Any :help1: would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics eventually. I can't be the only one that opted for the power folding option.....

:thankyou2: in advance!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Why are all the pictures blurred out?
They are blurred because many of us here used Photobucket to host our photos. It was a free service for many many years. A while back they decided to charge $$ and most of us decided not to join. If you aren't a subscriber to Photobucket, all of the photos that we all posted are now history and all you see is the Photobucket logo. :(

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
I don't mean to :hijack: this thread , but I finally got around to installing my 08+ Trailridge mirrors from 1Aauto. I LOVE the mirrors. The visibility has improved tremendously and I love the blind spot mirror. Simply said, there isn't a blind spot anymore. Installing the mirrors took less than one hour.

I ordered the power folding mirrors so that I wouldn't have to get out to fold the mirrors every time I park in the garage (winter time) and this is where it becomes very interesting. I ordered a new mirror switch to include the PF option. I ordered the other parts as per @Dante04SRT sticky. The new mirrors come with added pigtails for the PF options everything else is pretty much plug and play.
The PF wiring requires me passing wires from the door to the cab (sticky does that too) but for the life of me, I cannot do that through the door boot. the wiring harness there ends up in a square plug (electronic) and I'm not willing to drill a hole anywhere close to that.

So I am reaching out to anyone who's done this conversion? How in the :censored: did you pass the wires through? I am also a bit miffed as to @Dante04SRT install as I feel there's missing info. Maybe it's just me.
Also where does the power folding module plug into (see sticky)?

Any :help1: would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics eventually. I can't be the only one that opted for the power folding option.....

:thankyou2: in advance!

Zsargent, Were you able to figure this out yet? I've heard that others have used a section of plastic tubing as a conduit to get from the door to the truck and after pulling the wires, pulled-out the tube. Not sure if this was the exact problem you were having. Did you get the mirrors from 1A? Lastly, if you were successful in finishing -up the install, do you like the finished product?

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
@Spirit

I installed the mirrors and I absolutely love the upgrade. I bought the ones from 1AAuto with Power folding option. I am trying to do the PF upgrade with the factory folding switch (see @Dante04SRT write up). That is installed and I can adjust the mirrors up, down, left and right. However, I have not been able to to the PF yet. The '06 and ;07 truck have the electronic plug from the door to the cab for the wire loom meaning it's not straight forward for passing wires from the door to the cab. I have not resolved that yet.
I have been traveling extensively (27 flights this month, 2 more to go this week and I'm off)
This issue has been escalated to @1AAuto.com and Karin is staying on top of it. The mirrors are advertised as an upgrade for the '04-'07 with a wiring kit, so they should fit my truck including the wiring portion of it. The instructions provided were poor at best. There's no way (at least yet) to pass the wires from the doors to the cab. So Karin has passed this on to their expert for a solution. Hope to hear from them soon.
@TwinExcursions bought the mirrors also and we are communicating via email for a resolution.

I'm happy with the mirrors but the PF option is a bit crucial for me. I have a steep driveway and I have to fold the mirrors prior to going in the garage. I fell several times last winter trying to do this, hence the PF option. I will keep the thread updated as we go along. Hopefully I can come up with a good solution and will post pics on how to do it.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
@Spirit

I installed the mirrors and I absolutely love the upgrade. I bought the ones from 1AAuto with Power folding option. I am trying to do the PF upgrade with the factory folding switch (see @Dante04SRT write up). That is installed and I can adjust the mirrors up, down, left and right. However, I have not been able to to the PF yet. The '06 and ;07 truck have the electronic plug from the door to the cab for the wire loom meaning it's not straight forward for passing wires from the door to the cab. I have not resolved that yet.
I have been traveling extensively (27 flights this month, 2 more to go this week and I'm off)
This issue has been escalated to @1AAuto.com and Karin is staying on top of it. The mirrors are advertised as an upgrade for the '04-'07 with a wiring kit, so they should fit my truck including the wiring portion of it. The instructions provided were poor at best. There's no way (at least yet) to pass the wires from the doors to the cab. So Karin has passed this on to their expert for a solution. Hope to hear from them soon.
@TwinExcursions bought the mirrors also and we are communicating via email for a resolution.

I'm happy with the mirrors but the PF option is a bit crucial for me. I have a steep driveway and I have to fold the mirrors prior to going in the garage. I fell several times last winter trying to do this, hence the PF option. I will keep the thread updated as we go along. Hopefully I can come up with a good solution and will post pics on how to do it.

Thanks for the update and other info zsargent, I appreciate it. I've been staring at those dinky OEM "wide-angle" bottom mirrors for 15 years now and the only thing that has changed is my worsening eyesight. It's (past) time for the '08 upgrade but like you, I would really prefer the PF model. Hopefully 1A will come-up with an answer on that and I will be able to get the mod done.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
No worries. I'll keep the thread updated when I hear back from them. Hopefully it doesn't take a lifetime :rofl:

581 - 598 of 598 Posts