Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a deal on a wrecked and abandoned F250 6.0 FX4 and I could not pass it up, especially after I drove it! I have been reading up on the "issues" with the 6.0 and just wanted to get some advice on what I should look for while I am driving it. I want to do some of the "bullet proofing" that I am reading about on the site but I will have to drive it for while before I start that. It has 123K on it and from what I can tell runs pretty dang good. I don't think it has had a tuner on it. I don't plan on doing any heavy towing with it for a year or 2. I want to get a camper later down the road though. Not really interested in hopping it up.
Anyway I would appreciate any advice on what to look for while I am learning about the truck. Keep in mind I am still a newb. My only diesel experience is with a 2000 f350 7.3 that had 350k on it that I have been driving for 5 months now... I did trouble shoot the f350 hard start issue to make it drivable, so I am a little familiar with the 7.3.

Thanks Richard

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have read them both a few times and if I am reading them right the reason to get something to monitor thease engines with is the engine oil temp, exhaust temp and fuel preassure? Since I dont plan on doing alot of towing can I get by with the edge insite CS? and just keep an eye on the oil temp to engine temp? Is oil temp a PID? or does it need one of the expansion kits?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oil temp is a PID

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
You really want to be able to keep an eye on all of those. Fuel pressure is critical to injector life and replacing injectors is very expensive.

·
Registered
609 Posts
And you are correct, the differnce in the oil temp and the water temp is what you need to really monitor. How many miles are on the truck? Congrats!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has 123K on it, I have to repair the damage from the wreck. Then my gameplan would be to get a cs to monitor the engine oil and coolant temp to see what is going on. I would add the exhaust temp and fuel preasure down the road.
Should I stay away from the eveloution CS? Like I said I am not real concened with hopping it up, but it would be nice to pick up the towing setting... and "test out the others" from time to time.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
IM a huge advocate of PHP i have been running there monitors in my trucks for the last couple years. I had one in my F150 and they only charged me 150 to reflash it to my Deisel, also they write all my custom tunes and Bill makes sure its designed for my stock head bolts.

Lastly i had my FICM reflashed threw there scanner and Bill can build any type of tune you need. So its always upgradable.

Power Hungry Performance - Feed your hunger for POWER!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wasn't planning on doing this but since yall started my wheels turning. What would the pros and cons be for running a 6 position chip and an insight cs as oppose to running the evolution cs?
I am thinking that the pro would be the ability to have 6 tunes on the fly without having to reprogram. Can yall offer up some advice to why I wouldn't want to do a chip?

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
I wasn't planning on doing this but since yall started my wheels turning. What would the pros and cons be for running a 6 position chip and an insight cs as oppose to running the evolution cs?
I am thinking that the pro would be the ability to have 6 tunes on the fly without having to reprogram. Can yall offer up some advice to why I wouldn't want to do a chip?
The shift on the fly programmers don't tune the trans enough to handle the extra hp in the higher settings, over time and a heavy foot, your trans will start to fail.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Another thing it your also buying 2 set ups. You can buy the Evolution CTS threw PHP and its a Programer and monitor all in one unit. Thats what i use from PHP and Bill is able to reflash anything in my truck and i can also keep upgrading tunes as i upgrade my truck. PHP has a program you download once you buy there products and he will set up files you download to your monitor right off your computer.

I dont have the newer CTS yet as i had the original Edge style in my F150 but once it warrnets a newer monitor ill upgrade to the newer CTS. Mine does all the same things it just doesnt display as many readings at once or have touch screen.

I personaly would never run the shift on the fly settings in my truck, or a programmer thats just pretuned when you buy it.

I prefer to know it was tunes for my truck and what addons i have in my truck so i know its safe.

I dont worry about my engine and trans when i puch the go pedel as i know PHP tuned my programmer for my trucks set up.

I have 4 settings in mine
Transmission is just more aggressive shift points- never use it
Economy - never use it
Tow - use it when ever i load the bed or tow more then 3K lbs
Performance - every day use - prvides better milage then Economy if i keep my foot out of it and still allows the huge boost in power when needed unlike economy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts