Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a reasonable mileage to expect for a 7.3? I just paid for and am awaiting delivery of the title and paperwork of a 1999 F350 4wd dually. I drove it about 10 miles when inspecting it, and then another 80 miles back to the storage lot where it is currently awaiting the paperwork. I cannot operate it until the new title arrives. base is pretty strict on some things.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do it yourself, we're here to help with what we can... ;)

First thing you want to do is to be able to Scan for Codes and Monitor Sensors yourself. You have an '01, whos electrics (most importantly here it's PCM (computers) programming) can be either as an '02 or a 2000. Look at the dash cluster, if you have a digital OD and a Trans Temp Gauge in it then treat it as an '02. If not as a 2000. Also, if not, you should be able to see the Tach needle bounce-up a tiny bit while cranking on the Starter to know that the CPS is doing its job ('02's need the scanner to see that cranking rpm)

In any NoStart condition we want to monitor these 4 Important parameters while trying to start;

ICP Pressure ~ (in PSI plz, the PCM requires something over 500 before it will trigger the IDM to fire the injectors)

IPR% ~ (shows how Hard the system is having to work to make that ICP pressure)

CRANKING RPM ~ (PCM requires above 100rpm ~ 150 is typical)

CRANKING Voltage ~ (in an '02 PCM requires it not drop below 9v, in a 2000 not below 10v)

My Usual Scanner Advice;

If you're gonna keep & maintain the truck yourself I strongly suggest you get access to the special scanner software you need to do it.

To retrieve most of the codes you'll need to help and even do some testing look at the FORscan Lite or TorqueApp (you add an Android device and Blue Tooth Adapter for @ $30) OR the Windoze version with a USB adapter. I like this one for BT Android -> http://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/

Just a few years ago you needed to buy a professional scan tool because our trucks need to have a scanner with a Library containing both the Ford Proprietary AND the Diesel Specific codes in it. Add to that, our trucks are Not, specifically, OBD-II so the Generic scanners the Auto Parts Stores have are of little use to us. But today there are some very good App based tools, that are close to what the pro tools do, for fraction of the cost.

NoRalPh, any uggestions on a windowsusb adapter for either of those scanner programs you suggest? I have an apple phone and everything I have read to date indicates that I will ahve issues getting an Iphone to work with any of the OBD scan programs. but I have several small laptops running various versions of windows that I could use.

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Here ya go

ForScan is a simple download for PC, you can get it in just a few minutes -- the "lite" version is available on the app stores for your device.
There is a "demo" in the app options, so you can use the app without being connected, to get familiar with the screens
The BAFX adapter is the least expensive and a reliable adapter -- the MX+ is smaller, faster and more features, especially if you also have other newer vehicles

You do not need the license for troubleshooting - only for advanced programming
The PC version is the most powerful and does the injector "click test" among other tests

FORScan Home -- ForScan
OBDLink® MX+ - Outstanding Bluetooth-Compatible OBD II Scan Tool -- Bluetooth - advanced CAN protocols
OBDLink® EX - OBD2 Adapter For ELM327 & FORScan -- USB corded
BAFX Products® - Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 Reader / Scanner for Android Devices -- Bluetooth
https://vgatemall.com/home -- vLinker

• Love
Reactions: Ken Morgan

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I just bought a 2001 f350 7.3 manual. It has 74000 original miles. Everything is stock except the wheels and tires. I want to start upgrading my truck but don't know where to begin. I'm not looking to blow smoke. I'm looking for horsepower and better fuel mileage. I want to gradually work on it and i just don't know where to start. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
glad to see this post I am in the exact same boat. I just bought a 1999 7.3 dually one owner here in Japan. limited english language records, and as this truck was a grey market import for Japan, there is zero support here as it was never imported other than privately.

waiting to get my title and registration then i can "receive" the truck. so i am subbing to this and will unfortunately chime in a lot probably. As mine when test drove for 10 miles, and then when driving from lot to storage facility, 80 miles it ran like a top with zero issues. I am looking for longevity mods and maintenance tips more than anything. but also what parts I need to stock up on as order to time in hand can be up to 3 months from any vendor.. I want to bleed my bank account dry and piss off my wife... BTW I served in the Marine Corps for 8 and have worked ever since on the local bases as a civilian. so bleeding my accounts dry and pissing off my wife is a regular occurrence.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here ya go

ForScan is a simple download for PC, you can get it in just a few minutes -- the "lite" version is available on the app stores for your device.
There is a "demo" in the app options, so you can use the app without being connected, to get familiar with the screens
The BAFX adapter is the least expensive and a reliable adapter -- the MX+ is smaller, faster and more features, especially if you also have other newer vehicles

The PC version is the most powerful and does the injector "click test" among other tests

FORScan Home -- ForScan
OBDLink® MX+ - Outstanding Bluetooth-Compatible OBD II Scan Tool -- Bluetooth - advanced CAN protocols
BAFX Products® - Wireless Bluetooth OBD2 Reader / Scanner for Android Devices -- Bluetooth
thanks for the links will load them at the cabin into my laptops. I am still 2 weeks away from even getting my truck... If i did not have the F150 I would be seriously pissed, but I can wait another week or two for the F350....

Here ya go

FORScan Home -- ForScan

OK how do I give reps on this forum.. two things.. you are from southern Indiana... and thats GTG in my book regardless.. I am from Sullivan county originally, the Marine corps and life pulled me away from there. and secondly you were quick to assist... I bought the cable version. come visit me anytime in japan... cousin.

· Registered
117 Posts
Ken,
The only things that have made my truck unusable in my 9 years and 80K miles of ownership have been brake calipers (some of these were probably just sticky slide-pins before I learned), and front hub unit bearings (but you don’t say if yours is a 4x4).

I also don’t know what kind of ratings/classifications would be found on the lubricants available in your local market, so I would do some research in discovering what is available and appropriate (thinking specifically about trans fluid if it’s an automatic.

I would inventory a hub unit bearing if it’s a 4x4. Timkens seem to be the best. They are interchangeable left and right.

If your driver’s side rear brake caliper is forward of the axle, as it is on mine, I would have a rear brake caliper on hand, as both sides will use the same caliper with this configuration. But to avoid getting the wrong one, be sure to order for the passenger side.

I get my fuel at the same place 99% of the time and can usually get 10K from the filters, but just had to change mine at 4K. You will need to determine if you still have the factory fuel filter cap, or if a PO has substituted an aftermarket filter with an integrated cap…if so, I would get a replacement cap which will allow you to use either configuration in a pinch. You read my advice above.

This is maybe a bit of a hijack, and I’m sorry to have contributed, but I believe those who have served deserve a LOT of regard and appreciation from all of us.

I’d suggest you start your own thread…I think yours could be a fun one, and you can get tips from this one, and focus on the unique challenges you face by being in Japan with yours.

You will need to fill out everything about your truck so we will know exactly what you’re dealing with. For model year 99, there are the trucks with a build date on and before 12-7-98 that are called E (for early) 99s, and those thereafter called Late 99s or 99.5s. Because yours is a DRW, there will be fewer parts updates than on the SRW trucks after the primary Dec 7/8 under-the-hood change. Check your build date on the driver’s door jamb.

Ken

You will need to get a dongle to connect the OBD II port to a computer or smart phone, then download software that can read our unique Ford/Diesel protocol. For <$50, you can do almost anything that used to take devices costing thousands

· Registered
1,074 Posts
The sky’s the limit with proper maintenance. I’d expect 700k plus miles out of the engine with good maintenance. Everything else will age though. Steering, ball joints, suspension, auto trans, rust, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,201 Posts
Do the injector connections under the valve covers and you will never have to drive 90 miles on highway back home on 4 cylinders.
This is one of many reasons why I added the LED and switch controlling the PCM ground to the GPR. I can limit the use of GPs unless absolutely needed. I believe many a UVCH (aside from the know defect in the connector) have been cooked all in the name of "emissions"

· Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Start your own thread - listing the details about the truck and the problems
you will get more focused responses

· Administrator
27,124 Posts
Start your own thread - listing the details about the truck and the problems
you will get more focused responses
Welcome to his new thread.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to his new thread.
Thank you Heavy GD. sorry if I broke a rule or something. PM me to let me know how I messed up so I can avoid it in the future.

To all once I get the truck in hand I will find out the data from the engine and the door jamb.

When i was asking about mileage I was referring to MPG of fuel. the poster in that other thread was claiming some interesting to me numbers. interesting to me in that I think he is miscalculating some how. so I was curious as to what is the normal range one would see on a stock truck driven average without a load. diesel fuel is about $4.50 a gallon here in japan at the better suppliers so it is cheaper than gasoline to begin with and as all of my work trucks are diesel's i know where to not buy fuel from.

· Premium Member
9,832 Posts
NoRalPh, any uggestions on a windowsusb adapter for either of those scanner programs you suggest? I have an apple phone and everything I have read to date indicates that I will ahve issues getting an Iphone to work with any of the OBD scan programs. but I have several small laptops running various versions of windows that I could use.
As I understand the whole "Apple World",,, their business plan is to put their Hand in your Pocket at Every opportunity.

So what that means for us is that the BlueTooth communication from the adapter, that works so well in Open Source environments, it out because you'd have to go through an Apple Store charge of some sort and only use their pay-app (not ForScan) Something like that anyway... ;)

What they can't control is WiFi communication and that's how you skate off their greed. I believe it's just a simple matter of using the right WiFi OBD-II adapter to communicate with your phone, which is nice to be able to use because it's always with you! (of course, you'll be paying more for that adapter but at least it won't be going to Apple) :D

Somehow, in the Merge, this got left behind (That or I misapplied it to another thread maybe??)

As for Mileage, despite some outrageous claims made by others, I would expect something between 12-17mpg depending on a bunch of factors...

· Registered
455 Posts
here is my claim on MPG for fuel economy,
I just plug the numbers into "Fuelio" for Android and it is, what it is.
bought the truck in Montana 1st week of July, 2022 and drove 800 miles to Price, UT to visit family and hauled one of their old tractors home on a car trailer, that was 1800 miles, on this picture, the last trip is 300 miles out and back on the same day, empty, CC set at 1850 rpm, level terrain, Tulsa to OKC back to home again, filled up before, and then back home at the same exact fuel pump, to eliminate 'errors' between pumps.

Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia Software

at home, empty, key on to key off, no more than 18-20 miles per trip

Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device Multimedia

· Premium Member
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - ARP studs, EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, PHP FICM tunes.
1,581 Posts
As I understand the whole "Apple World",,, their business plan is to put their Hand in your Pocket at Every opportunity.
Why I stick to Android.

Unfortunately, my wife was assimilated before we met.

I occasionally get to use the phrase "iPhone, so sorry", which always gets me a dirty look.

· Registered
455 Posts
my son has to use iPhones because of his employer, they have in-house software that only works on iOS

he knows what I can do with my Android, and tried to use one, but it was just a super PITA, because he had to keep the iPhone to work their Apps....

· Premium Member
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - ARP studs, EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter, PHP FICM tunes.
1,581 Posts
Stupid people use applications to run a business that are not platform-agnostic.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well finally got the truck today, one of the batteries is dead and the PO only changed one of them so for now its charge and wait for Two new matching batteries to replace one that totally dead, and one that might as well be after being wired in with a dead one... some folks just do not understand batteries and electricity.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
door jamb sticker, can anybody help figure out if its early vs later 99? I see a date of 02/99 but was thinking there ws some discussion about 98 build dates being early 99 and 01/99 and up being late 99.... also was there not a sticker on the engine I should be looking for? I seem to remember this in a discussion but cannot for the life of me remember which thread it was in.

Font Gas Circle Monochrome Monochrome photography

· Registered
455 Posts
Wonder if a dealership can trace the VIN back to see when it was built?

Good looking truck you have.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts