Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
You just screw it to the reflector and snap the shroud on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
But the dummy projectors, at least mine are, are just the lens part of the whole projector. A shroud will just snap on but there is nothing between the lens and the reflectors. Since the shrouds in the smaller turn signal bowls hit on the top and the bottom I think I'm just going to put two screws in the top and the bottom through the shrouds. You won't be able to see them and I'll probably try to put some jb weld on the back side of it through the turn signal socket to help.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
But the dummy projectors, at least mine are, are just the lens part of the whole projector. A shroud will just snap on but there is nothing between the lens and the reflectors. Since the shrouds in the smaller turn signal bowls hit on the top and the bottom I think I'm just going to put two screws in the top and the bottom through the shrouds. You won't be able to see them and I'll probably try to put some jb weld on the back side of it through the turn signal socket to help.

Yeah I see what your saying, but the lens part, like you said is all that makes up a dummy projector has the tabs (depending on the projector) that screw allow a screw to secure it to the projector base. So try to bend those tabs so it's at a 90* and screw that to the reflector. You'll need to trim the shrouds to fit, it'd a similar situation when retrofitting projectors into 05 lights like I have done before. So you just gotta trim and fit, trim and fit little by little and you'll have it fitting perfect and looking good.

Look at this pic: the black part of the lens has tabs that bolt up to the projector, utilize that and secure that to reflector.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hope that makes sense, kinda hard to explain through text on a phone.

Lol yeah it does.

Here's what the dummy projectors look like from TRS. Idk if they have different ones. These are the same lenses as my mini h1 projectors.

1390450969364.jpg

Now I could make some sort of extensions for the little screw holes so that the shrouds stuck out just as far as the headlight shrouds or I could just shoot two screws in the shrouds through the headlight reflector where the arrows are. I don't think you'll be able to see the screws when it's done.
1390451289629.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I figured out today that the way to do the mounting is to start from the original hole and widen it lower and closer to the flat spot. I kind of need the shrouds back in order to figure out the mounting, I'm going to attempt to cut my brackets out tomorrow and see if I can get the projectors positioned correctly.

Tony, were your projectors set in the hole somewhat shallow? I can't see the brackets working with this things pushed flushed back in the bowl.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just saw this post... but an easy way to remove the main headlight bucket from the pivot pieces is with a heat gun. Use a 15mm or 17mm wrench and a small piece of wood to pry against. Heat with heat gun while applying pressure with the wrench

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Just saw this post... but an easy way to remove the main headlight bucket from the pivot pieces is with a heat gun. Use a 15mm or 17mm wrench and a small piece of wood to pry against. Heat with heat gun while applying pressure with the wrench

Maybe your thinking of another thread, he's had the buckets out and split apart for sometime now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Any more updates? I just sealed my headlights back up so they're done now.

1391134891038.jpg
1391134909786.jpg

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks awesome! What method did you go with? Jnc or just a crap load of jb weld?

Are you talking about sealing them up? When I ordered my projectors I got some butyl glue. It comes in a roll and you just lay it out in the channel, then I used a ratchet strap to put force on the lens and heated it up with a heat gun to make sure it sealed.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Are you talking about sealing them up? When I ordered my projectors I got some butyl glue. It comes in a roll and you just lay it out in the channel, then I used a ratchet strap to put force on the lens and heated it up with a heat gun to make sure it sealed.

No I mean mounting the projectors on there. I already have butyl glue from TRS. I have the reflector cut open but can't figure out how to mount using jnc without the brackets being visible below the shroud. I also can't really do much because they forgot to send me a test lead and I'm waiting on the apollo 2.0s to show up

·
Registered
547 Posts
No I mean mounting the projectors on there. I already have butyl glue from TRS. I have the reflector cut open but can't figure out how to mount using jnc without the brackets being visible below the shroud. I also can't really do much because they forgot to send me a test lead and I'm waiting on the apollo 2.0s to show up

Ah ok. Well see mine was pretty easy. I just have the mini h1 kit though. The projectors just have a threaded shaft on the back that you put through the headlight socket. Then just tighten a nut on the back and they're in.

The dummy projectors I ended up just shooting a screw in the top and bottom then putting a little jb weld on the back side of them through the socket with a straw lol just to make sure they don't rotate.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So here are the pics. The last one is the current view from the side of the depth for reference. I was going to attempt to make the brackets at more of a 45 degree angle and try come at it from the round part of the reflector. I just don't know if that's a viable option, it's hard to really tell without having any shrouds. I figure that the angle might be possible if there already has to be a screw mounted in the round piece to adjust the pitch.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah those look a lot more difficult to mount than mine were.

A potential problem I see is since you're having to mount the projectors so far back in the housings is I don't know if the shrouds will fit without a lot of trimming.

On mine since the threaded shaft is on the very back of the projector they aren't that recessed in the reflector, but even though, my Apollo 2 shrouds are just a couple mms from hitting the reflector on the sides where it curves.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dillon,

I assume you had to grind down the nub in the main reflector that the halogen bulb piece mounted to? Also did you have to grind down the back of the housing for the mini h1 to seat in all the way to put the threaded nut on?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts