Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought a 2007 F-450 with 452k miles. This truck was used mostly for towing. I was told it had a lifter problem and possibly the camshaft was bad as well. Took off the engine and removed the camshaft and one of the lobes is in fact rounded off. My question is that at this point should I do an overhaul on it (pistons,rings,bearings, etc) or should I just install the camshaft, bearings,and lifters? Took off the cover and pistons look in excellent condition, but I have not disassembled that portion of the engine yet so don't know in what shape the rings are, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
what do the cyl walls look like? what do the rod bearings look like? all that info will determine how much you should do

you did remove the crank to get the cam out didn't you?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cylinder walls were in good condition as well as the rod bearings. I removed only two rod bearings; the one in cylinder #1 and #2. They look like new. No I didnt remove the crank to get to the cam.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
The cylinder walls were in good condition as well as the rod bearings. I removed only two rod bearings; the one in cylinder #1 and #2. They look like new. No I didnt remove the crank to get to the cam.
Start looking for a new crank.:doh:

·
Registered
968 Posts
:worthless[1]: :icon_ford:

Please post some photos of the internal parts. It would be great to see how the cylinder walls, pistions, bearings , cam etc etc of this 6.0 are holding up after that many miles. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not take out the crank gear to remove the camshaft. I only took out the ring that the fly wheel is bolted on to remove the cam.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Whatever piece you took apart, should have stayed together. You cannot remove the cam without removing the crank.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
you're not supposed to remove the adapter under any circumstance. it's bolted to the crank and THEN machined true. if you took it off there's a chance you'll never get the rear main to seal again

not to mention the whole flexplate/convertor dowel alignment issue

don't get me wrong, it's pretty stupid to have to remove the crankshaft to get the cam out but these engines were never exactly intended to be slapped in a light duty truck

·
Registered
357 Posts
Wow I have no idea what any if this means but darnit I'm gonna learn something! Subscribed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if your cam lobe is gone, than a lifter is gone, if a lifter was toasted, your LPOP should be toasted as well... front cover, etc... start over but send the block to the smitsonian, cause thats the longest I've heard of a block going... congrats

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm I see what you guys are saying. I'll have to consider what route to take at this point because had definitely not planned for this added expense..... Ill post some pics tomorrow for you guys to see.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Did you by chance mark the position of the adapter piece? Maybe you could bolt it back on and while using a dial indicator you could see if there is any radial runout and adjust accordingly.
Just an option

It just sucks that the only way to findout if it would still seal is alot of man-hours and then have to do it again

·
Registered
472 Posts
The way I see it, you don't have anything to lose. Put it back together and run her till she blows.

There are some good ideas in here for getting that thing back on.

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
I've heard stories of those adapter bolts leaking oil also(misdiagnosed as a rear main), just for my own curiousity does there appear to be any kind of sealant on them?

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Did you by chance mark the position of the adapter piece? Maybe you could bolt it back on and while using a dial indicator you could see if there is any radial runout and adjust accordingly.
Just an option

It just sucks that the only way to findout if it would still seal is alot of man-hours and then have to do it again
:agree: since you marked it where it needs to go, you may be able to get it together and seal alright.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts