Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A leftover piece of 45* 4" exhaust pipe, silicone coupler, duct insulation and Wix filter. :woot:

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
cool, did you attach the filter end down somehow so no moving around?
I gotta do it. I hace the exhaust pipe. Whats the wix part number? where did you get the duct wrap?
is their an air flow sensor in the pipe somewhere? did you have to remove one?

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, did you attach the filter end down somehow so no moving around?
The filter end is not secured. As you can see in the photo, I had to unbolt the turbo inlet pipe from the engine. I will be making spacers and using longer bolts to reattach it. Even without it, the assembly hardly moves at all. You will need a silicone coupler because the 45* elbow doesn't line up exactly.

Whats the wix part number?
Wix filter #56637 or NAPA Gold #6637.

where did you get the duct wrap?
Home Depot. Any big-box store like Lowes or Menards should have it. It's foam insulated foil wrap with an adhesive backing. I also purchased some regular non-foam, aluminum tape. Once you get the foil-foam wrap on, you can wrap the entire elbow with the foil tape to cover the gaps.

is their an air flow sensor in the pipe somewhere? did you have to remove one?
My 2000 didn't have an airflow sensor, just the air temp sensor. I zip-tied the sensor right next to the filter.

Thanks for all the good words. I've been building drag cars for 20+ years, but this diesel stuff is new to me. I don't think I can go back to a gas truck now. I'M HOOKED!!!!

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Why did you wrap it?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why did you wrap it?
I didn't at first. One day, after a 20-minute drive, I popped the hood to install a new fuse-block for my yet to be purchased accessories. I placed my hand on the bare metal elbow and damn near burned it. The steel tube was absorbing radiant heat from the exhaust. I figured the foil wrap would deflect the heat. It does seem to idle smoother now.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
You would be better off painting it white or a reflective color then covering it, if you're worried about radiant heat :thumb:

Honestly, it won't make but 10* difference since the air moving through that tube is moving quickly. Let your intercooler do your cooling and if you're that worried about it... do water injection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts