Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I can't take credit for this mod. I came across something similar a long while ago, posted on a forum somewhere. Seemed like a logical idea so I ran with it. I do have a DieselSite Filtration system enroute but I wanted some kind of solution in the meantime, and I'm glad I did.

So what is it? 1990 Ford F250 w/5.8L fuel filter. As you can see it's inline with the degas bottle return line so only a small amount of coolant is filtered while running. The micron rating for a gasoline filter is more then fine enough for cooling system junk. Pressure isn't an issue either. So far no problems with the heat either, and I don't expect there to be any. Install is only a few minutes.

But how well does it work? Well first of all before I installed the filter I did a complete drain and flush, refilled with just water and Prestone Super Cleaner, then drove it for a week as per the instructions. Drained out the crud, reflushed until clear, refilled with water and VC9. Ran the truck for an hour then took it for a 20 mile drive. Drained, flushed a few times until clear and then refilled with Premium Gold. All flushing done with heat on full, also removed t-stat for flushes. I couldn't have flushed this truck more.

So here it is, after less than 100 miles from the final flush. That's a lot of abrasive sand and I've only shown half of what came out. The filter was absolutely nowhere near plugged. I reverse flushed it and reinstalled. I have a 2000 mile 14,000lb tow next week and I'll update then. It's a cheap and dirty mod but it did work quite well and shows that the sand problem is a real killer for these motors, and no matter how many flushes you do the sand keeps coming.

EDIT: To alleviate any fears of the filter plugging, just add a couple "Y"s and an extra section of line around the filter. That will give you a failsafe should the filter load up, additionally everything can be moved lower to better hide the installation. But whatever you do.......DO SOMETHING! Compulsory for the 6.0L

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Actually, that isn't a bad idea although you are right it isn't catching nearly as much as the Dieselsite bypass filter. Even still, can you imagine how much was still in there???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I did this a while back and have to say I think that the others are just over engineered. Think of a dam holding water back. All that water does not go through the dam. It is released with a small outlet. All of these filter systems all go down to the 3/8" hose back to the Degass Bottle. No matter how big the filter is, it will only flow so much due to the 3/8" hose. Most fuel Filters like the one used here have a Micron rating of 10 to 19. That will stop most anything in the coolant system. Yes it will fill up quicker, but you can buy a replacement at Wal-Mart or any parts store.

Here is a picture of one cut apart.

Here is a link to pictures of my install. I went a little over on it too. Using stainless steel hose.

Coolant Filter pictures by DunDoneIt - Photobucket

Next time I would just use fuel hose and the following tee.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thats a great idea... Great job. :thumb:
The way I see it is, its better than nothing. I just did a flush and fill so this is next. Great job!

·
Registered
559 Posts
I like it simple and easy.

I'm sure the nay sayers will be along shortly to say how bad this is for the truck and there is a good chance someone will try to sell you something in an indirect way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well I just installed the filter... I'm wondering how well it will hold up to the heat.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Great idea, I love cheap mods like this!

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Jarrod, I see no reason why it wouldn't work the same on a 7.3
Doug

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I like it simple and easy.

I'm sure the nay sayers will be along shortly to say how bad this is for the truck and there is a good chance someone will try to sell you something in an indirect way.
This is such a bad mod for the kit because it causes excess gasses to build up inside the doohickey. Buy the Dieselsite kit!!!! :hehe:

It won't flow the same, but even still it's performing similarly to a bypass filter. :thumb:

·
Registered
273 Posts
I wouldn't run it because it doesn't catch as much dirt as the bigger filters, therefore needs more replacements. And it doesn't have a built in bypass. You would have to keep a constant eye on it for when it's "full". If you don't, you just closed off the coolant system. I wonder if that's bad for a 6.0? lol
You also ran this INLINE with the coolant system instead of bypassed like the Diesel Site filter does. Again, when it clogs, you're screwed.

So call me a nay sayer and let the flaming begin.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Haha there wont be flaming, like I said cheap and dirty mod. The dieselsite kit is the best and mine is in the mail. But for the ten bucks I spent I'm super happy with the results. Its easy to check if the filter is getting full and one minute to swap it. I had a lot of sand in it and it was nowhere near plugged.

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe there are two returns to the degas bottle and I'm using the lesser one to filter. Regardless, it'd be super easy to add a "T" fitting and make it a bypass more like the dieselsite kit and it might add five bucks to the overall cost.

Flow wont be an issue because the filter is rated to 200gph at 50psi. The cooling system has no chance of getting to those numbers on a return line.

I'll report back when the road trip is done.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do all the kits run to the overflow tank? Can't the fluid move both ways and would it just flush the filter if flow was reversed?

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
DoneDunit can you pleeease tell me how you got your scangauge to do the water temp!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Do all the kits run to the overflow tank? Can't the fluid move both ways and would it just flush the filter if flow was reversed?
Yes, all the kits i have seen use the degas bottle.

And no, cause the bypass kits use the feed/pressure side of the heater system, and dump into the line he is useing, there would/should never be a reverse flow issue.

And, in this case the flow is to the top of the degas and somewhat pressurized, even if the bottle was full I don't think it would back flush.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I don't about not having a bypass but at $3 a filter, you could replace a lot of them for the price of a dieselsite kit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
But, the dieselsite kit (looks so impressive and shiny ) is worth every penny. That's why i have one.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts