Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Well i almost have all the bugs worked out of the CF setup. Still need to get more precise heat control going but for now i am still able to maintain temp with flow rate of about 1 quart per 1.75 minutes. Thats almost 4 hours per 30 gal. batch and i think that will get the oil clean as i need it. Its water free, dry as a bone so thats the main thing. I'll probably re run a batch to just see what i get out the second pass for curiosity.
So far i have CFed 260 gal. to start getting my tote filled again...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
FLow rate sounds good. Keep the temp up past 140 and it will be PERFECT!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
FLow rate sounds good. Keep the temp up past 140 and it will be PERFECT!:thumb:
With that flow rate my temp runs about 130, i have to slow it down a little to get 140*.:dunno: Unless i preheat the oil before i pump it up to the top barrel, i don't know anyway other way to raise the temp. The oil starting out was about 55* so this summer when the ambient temp is higher, like 80* that won't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What wattage element and what voltage? What type of element?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
What wattage element and what voltage? What type of element?
Its a standard 13" water heater element on 110v.
Don't know the wattage but i assume its 1000 -1500?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
If that doesnt keep up for you, I can hook you up with a 2000W 220V that will do it!

I use one in a 5 gallon WH and it holds 140 easy on a 45*F steel buolding.

Let me know

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
If that doesnt keep up for you, I can hook you up with a 2000W 220V that will do it!

I use one in a 5 gallon WH and it holds 140 easy on a 45*F steel buolding.

Let me know
That would get the oil too hot withoout a heat controler...i don't have 220 wired to that side of the shop and to run 220 over there would cost a bundle...maybe just a 2000 w on 110 would be better than what i have.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Probably at 750-800 clams. Would have been cheaper if i had used metal pipe on the heater in the first place rather than rebuilding it 3 times only to end up with all steel pipe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice setup! I just purchased a 01 f350 and have been looking for the lowest time involved setup to produce clean wvo. The centrifuge and pre heater seems the least time consuming. The issue you may be having with your heater setup, is the flow rate is going to be relative to the incoming oil temp and the heat capacity of your element. Having the heater control slow sown the flow rate to keep the temp stable will solve the problem. The oil exiting the heating element should flow upwards, so new cold oil has to push the heated oil out. This way if the flow is slowed the oil will still be in contact with the heating element and not drain off. The small 5gal water heater due to storage capacity might be the better way to keep temps stable. Hopefully I can procure some wvo to build a setup. Then mod the truck to run it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have put 20,000 gallons through a 5 gallon water heater feeding my CF and it keeps up just fine. 220V 1500 W. Thermostatic control and no issues.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
so are you running straight wvo or a mix of diesel and veggie?
Strait WVO. Centrifuged and a DIY conversion I would never consider a blend. Ever.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have put 20,000 gallons through a 5 gallon water heater feeding my CF and it keeps up just fine. 220V 1500 W. Thermostatic control and no issues.
What brand and model is that heater? All the water heaters around here under 30 gallon are 120v. I am still trying to decide what size to get- 2.5g, 6g. or 12g. Then there is a guy local that has a 40 gallon that the spigot at the bottom leaks for $50.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What brand and model is that heater? All the water heaters around here under 30 gallon are 120v. I am still trying to decide what size to get- 2.5g, 6g. or 12g. Then there is a guy local that has a 40 gallon that the spigot at the bottom leaks for $50.
I got mine out of the scrap pile at the recycle yard! It is 10 gallon IIRC. I put a 1500W shorty 220V element in it with a ball valve on the bottom. I also installed a SST tube into it that directs the cold oil input to go to the bottom of the tank. Works great. Typical electric WH control also. :nod:

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
...im starting to read all the veggie threads to figure out how this works. still not clear atm.
youll get there, welcome to the greasy side! read the HEUI sticky, great info, its a good percentage of what you will want to know.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #120 (Edited)
clay, guestimate on the cost on this investment for me please with the truck setup.

im starting to read all the veggie threads to figure out how this works. still not clear atm.
DFA has some new prices and I'm not sure what the turnkey system price is now but you can look at their website and see.
The CF build cost me roughly 800 bucks or you can buy a plug n play CF for around 1200.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts